Light-O-Rama Forums

Powering iDMX

Dr. Jones

I will be running two networks this year. My DMX devices on one and the traditional controllers on another.

If I power the iDMX through a USB adapter, will it have enough juice to power 5 iDMX units?

If I use a wall wart, will that have enough juice to power them all?

and yes i need all the units - I am using 255 of the 256 available channels on each

Going by the specifications, no. The front panel and the manual specify 1/2 amp. Which, of course, would be the limit for a single USB device to draw. However, it is not clear how much of that half amp is locally consumed, and how much (if any) is intended to be made available for other items down the line.. Maybe, if I can find the right connector, I could power it up on my bench supply and get an idea. Unfortunately, mine will be surrounded by powered controllers, so I'm not expecting much in the motivation department.

- Kevin

The first power connector I found was too small on the center pin.. The second one not only fit, but had a 3 foot cord on it!! Once I remembered where the multi meter was, and got the polarity right, the next step was easy..

With no DMX or LOR networks attached, it appears the iDMX-100 draws about 90mA.

The next answer came really close to being incorrect. I took a new CMB-16D out of the box, and plugged it into a Cat 5 cable, and into the iDMX.. No change, and no status light on the CMB-16D.. I don't remember there being any jumpers to enable/disable remote power on these, so my first impression is that the iDMX does not supply power. Just as a double check I brought the CMB-16D over to the USB-485-B, and still no status light.. I'll have to follow up with that one later. I know a different CMB-16D does power up in that test case..

So I went back to the bench supply, and plugged in a mini director to the iDMX, and the mini director powered up, and the current draw went up to about 120mA..

Now remember, that this is with no data being crunched, and no cable load on the DMX network, but it looks to me that 5 on USB power is theoretically possible, but I would not recommend it. No margin to speak of at all.

Presuming that DMX cable load does not add that much power draw you may be in good shape using one 500mA wall wart on the end of the 5 unit LOR chain, and USB-485B power on the start of the chain...

Unfortunately, I only have two DMX fixtures here, and don't expect to have access to much more until late November. Nor do I have much cable, so I can't test how much additional load the DMX buss may draw.

- Kevin

You will need a power brick to power the iDMX units. One 1 amp power supply should be enough.

As far as the USB we only supply about 200ma.... That is enough for any single accessory. The USB limit is about 500ma... We use up to 450ma.... Note: Although we are only supplying 200ma out of the USB485B it takes 400ma from the USB port because we double the voltage.

Dan

I had someone check the parts list for the iDMX... Voltage regulator for the accessories is rated at 500ma if you put a power brick on one of the, it should be able to power the other 4.

Dan