Light-O-Rama Forums

Scheduled shows start immediately after each other

tlogan

Finally got all my stuff out and wired up. I'm running the same sequences as last year and the show runs about 25 minutes. I scheduled the show to run on the half hour. Shows start at 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, etc. I went outside last night around 6:50 and heard the last song in the schedule play to the end. And then IMMEDIATELY the next show started. I went in to check the time on the computer running the show and it showed 6:55. I checked the turn off lights at end box so there should a couple of minutes of those lights all being off before the next show starts (I DO have static lights/props that remain on all night so it's never completely dark!) .

Any ideas? It's really only annoying because I have a sign that says show starts on the half hour. If there are dark lights, people would know it's only a couple of minutes before it starts up again and also when it ends.

What is the scheduled start and end time for each show?  You gave us the start times, but not the end times.

24 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

What is the scheduled start and end time for each show?  You gave us the start times, but not the end times.

DANG! That could be it. I only remember scheduling each start time. MAYBE I set the end time on the next half hour. BUT if I didn't, wouldn't it go dark at the end of the last sequence until the next show starts or does it cycle back to the top sequence and continue playing until the next show starts? I checked Play in Order.

If you set the your 6:30 show to run from 6:30 to 7:00, it is doing exactly what you told it to do.  If on the other hand, if your last sequence is 2 minutes long and expected to run from 6:53 to 6:55 and you have the show set to end at 6:54, it would shut down after the last sequence ends.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

If you set the your 6:30 show to run from 6:30 to 7:00, it is doing exactly what you told it to do.  If on the other hand, if your last sequence is 2 minutes long and expected to run from 6:53 to 6:55 and you have the show set to end at 6:54, it would shut down after the last sequence ends.

Thanks, K6...I will look at that as soon as I get home!

Closing the loop -

I did indeed have the shows scheduled to END on the half hour so that they were 30 minutes in length. This morning I changed them all to be 25 minutes in length. I'll know tonight if it now works as I expected.

1 minute ago, tlogan said:

I did indeed have the shows scheduled to END on the half hour so that they were 30 minutes in length. This morning I changed them all to be 25 minutes in length. I'll know tonight if it now works as I expected.

Scary thought - it was doing EXACTLY what you told it to do.  Unfortunately that was not what you wanted it to do.  If you watch the LOR status window, this would have been more obvious, but at the end of the playlist, as long as there is any time left in the schedule, the show player will start the list again.

BTW, there is one more option (I've never tried this, but it should work).  Put all your sequences in the Startup tab.  The sequences in the Startup tab will play once and then the show player will play the Animation and Musical tabs.  If there is nothing in the Musical or Animation tabs, it will play nothing.

If I had a dime for every time upon delivery of computer application I heard some version of, "it's exactly what I asked for but not what I wanted," I'd be retired by now.

I'll keep the Startup Tab in mind in case what I've done doesn't work. But if the Startup Tab DOES work, it would make it bullet proof. It would allow you to add, delete or replace sequences without having to know the total duration, as long as you are within your start times.

And I gotta say, I've got some suggestions for LOR to make that scheduler more user friendly.

If you want the display dark outside of the musical sequences, then create a 10 or 15 minute long animation sequence with ALL channels OFF. Place that animation sequence in the MUSICAL tab after your musical sequences play. Then schedule your shows for 30 minutes in length.

The software will stop an animation sequence when a show ends, regardless of how much longer the sequence has to go. This would give you a scheduled 10 or 15 minute OFF command at the end of each show.