Light-O-Rama Forums

Just lost everything... (almost)

a31ford

Oh, boy.... 

I have an animation sequence (one), and mp3's , is there anyway to use show editor to simply play one animation over and over, ? for say 4 hours ??

dogs where rough-housing, laptop AND backup drive are NOW on the floor, nothing boots.......... tried the backup drive on the desktop, toast !

the stuff on the desktop is all i have........................

Ouch - sorry to hear that.

That's probably the only thing that hasn't happened to me, only because I don't have any pets.

If you happen to have an old mini director,,, just in case you forgot. I forgot mine in the backyard in 2016. LOL

JR

Take the HDD out of the laptop and place it in an external enclosre or get a sata lll cable and connect it to your desktop. It will act as an external drive so you can pull your stuff off of it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZJI84/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Mr. P

I have said it here many times.  For future reference or for other people:  Backup, Backup, and Off-Site backup.

Edited by k6ccc

LOL... (Cry), they (dogs), got the power cable, both the laptop AND the backup external drive.. both where running when they hit the floor.. both are done.

normally would never have had the bu drive there, just one of those things......

the desktop is the only thing connected to the net, generally the bu sits there, was transferring new mp3's when it happened. this laptop is only used for LOR it's (Was) an old Acer unit, no wi-fi, nothing.

So I ended up running the animation off of the desktop on a 9 pin  to 485 adapter, and simply ran winamp for sound, it's a flimsy fix, but worked so far, for the night.

I know that I have some older songs on an old h/d, just which one... gona look through them in the AM, I've had enough for today.......

Edited by a31ford
  • Like 1

May I recommend having both computers on your home network and using something like JungleDisk to sync them?

My desktop (where I do my sequencing) has an "LOR" folder constantly synced to JungleDisk, and then that folder syncs to the show PC.   So I always have 3 copies before I even make backups - on the programming PC, the show PC, and up at JungleDisk.   Plus, any changes I make to a sequence, the show, or the schedule are implemented essentially immediately without having to copy, etc.   It also means that I can sequence any time during the year, and when the show PC boots up around the holidays, the new sequences are there within minutes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jtomason said:

May I recommend having both computers on your home network and using something like JungleDisk to sync them?

My desktop (where I do my sequencing) has an "LOR" folder constantly synced to JungleDisk, and then that folder syncs to the show PC.   So I always have 3 copies before I even make backups - on the programming PC, the show PC, and up at JungleDisk.   Plus, any changes I make to a sequence, the show, or the schedule are implemented essentially immediately without having to copy, etc.   It also means that I can sequence any time during the year, and when the show PC boots up around the holidays, the new sequences are there within minutes. 

This is similar to what I was told was built in to windows 10 but I don't think it is. I haven't found it.

If I understand this correctly I would not have to copy my sequences from my sequencing computer and take to my show computer. Is that correct.

That could save me a ton of time.

Thanks for the info.

JR

8 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

If I understand this correctly I would not have to copy my sequences from my sequencing computer and take to my show computer. Is that correct.

That is correct.   I sync my c:\users\joe\Light-O-Rama folder on the programming (main) PC up to a JungleDisk online disk called "LOR".  That online disk is synchronized to the same named folder (c:\users\joe\Light-O-Rama) on the show PC.  When I change a sequence on the programming PC (or create a new one), the file syncs up to JungleDisk and down to the Show PC automagically, no intervention required.   I'm a big fan of JungleDisk, and use them for documents (accessible on multiple PCs including my laptop) and other files I both edit regularly or might need while not at my PC. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jtomason said:

That is correct.   I sync my c:\users\joe\Light-O-Rama folder on the programming (main) PC up to a JungleDisk online disk called "LOR".  That online disk is synchronized to the same named folder (c:\users\joe\Light-O-Rama) on the show PC.  When I change a sequence on the programming PC (or create a new one), the file syncs up to JungleDisk and down to the Show PC automagically, no intervention required.   I'm a big fan of JungleDisk, and use them for documents (accessible on multiple PCs including my laptop) and other files I both edit regularly or might need while not at my PC. 

Thank you

I left them a message, do you know what program you use? They have many listed and I cant sort them all out. Just want to ensure they don't sell me something I don't need- like the cloud. Just like the movie - I still don't understand the clouds and I pay for and have pics on Apple but even after watching their videos cant figure it out. 

JR

8 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Thank you

I left them a message, do you know what program you use? They have many listed and I cant sort them all out. Just want to ensure they don't sell me something I don't need- like the cloud. Just like the movie - I still don't understand the clouds and I pay for and have pics on Apple but even after watching their videos cant figure it out. 

JR

JungleDisk Workgroup.   It will run you $8/mo for two "employees" (even if you have none) and 10G of storage, with extra gigabytes charged at 15 cents each.   It might be overkill for strictly LOR, but as I said, I keep my documents on it as well and spend about $12/mo with them.   

You could also try PCloud for $3.99/mo for 500GB: https://www.pcloud.com/cloud-storage-pricing-plans.html

• Like 2

I'ts fixed... I had at one point early last year, replaced the drive in the external, (totally forgot about it)  got everything back except this years channel map, and new songs.

Greg

Edited by a31ford
  • Like 1

Glad you found an old backup drive.  At least that'll help.

Just so you know, I run animation sequences {4 of them} overnight, they run from 10pm-6:30am Sun-Thur or 11pm-6:30am Fri/Sat, I also have music playing when they are running as well, using 1 channel musical sequences{691 of them!}.  Set up in the Show Editor and Schedule Editor.

Been doing it for years.  You just schedule the animation sequence{s} to play when you want, just like setting up your show.

Very simple and easy to do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jtomason said:

OK, I'll let the cat out of the bag......

I do NOT have the laptop or my wife's computer connected to the internet side of things for a very good reason, HOWEVER, they ARE connected to a network, just not one that is connected to the internet. (it has it's own internal router that is not connected to our fiber connection.

I also have a "day use" router connection  (2 independent routers) that is the house use laptop and the general use desktop upstairs, those, the ROKU boxes, the smartphones the VOIP, all have internet 100mb fiber.

the LOR laptop and the one desktop are strictly for music and LOR.

WE had a photo virus wipe EVERY picture off my wife's hard drive about 8 years ago.... (ALL THE STUFF FROM THE KIDS, WEDDINGS, OUTINGS, ETC.)

THIS IS WHY those 2 computers are not internet connected, NEVER AGAIN !!

BTW, thank you for taking the time to try and explain the network stuff.......

TY-Network_zpsdzdaedl2.gif

Greg Manning,  Cisco Certified, Network Engineer , EDS Inc. Retired

LOL, Now everyone will understand my addiction to hardware, on RS-485 network hardware & topology............................................

tuzki18.gif

Edited by a31ford

a31Ford - to cool 

I lost tons of pictures a few years ago as well.

MS has all but tricked us into the windows 10 everything “syncd crap”

Someone - I cant remember who - in the forums- told me I didn’t have to sync with my email and I could have a stand alone machine.

Tried that last week with a brand spanking new computer and it crashed! It would only log me into a temp account which I didn’t realize what that meant until I loaded LOR and logged off- no more LOR

Spent hours with Dell and they did a system restore - two days for a brand new laptop

Said there was no way to have a stand  alone even though I was given the option upon setup

Give me back the days of the old 12” floppy and green machines. Mr. P and a few others may know what they are.

JR

• Like 1

Dib... TOOOOO Funny... Back in the day, I ran an IBM 360/3 mainframe by day, and rock band by night....

The windoze 10, thing, just do a local account.. the other laptop I'm on at the moment, will work both, non & internet.

Edited by a31ford
windoze 10

39 minutes ago, a31ford said:

Dib... TOOOOO Funny... Back in the day, I ran an IBM 360/3 mainframe by day, and rock band by night....

The windoze 10, thing, just do a local account.. the other laptop I'm on at the moment, will work both, non & internet.

Back in the day, I programmed an IBM 360 mainframe by day and played in an 18-piece big band by night. Well, not EVERY night, but a LOT of nights. And weekends.

Just sayin'!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a31ford said:

I tried that local account and that’s when all went haywire last week.

I followed the instructions on the screen. When the computer updates took affect I had to log on and it would only log a temp.

Dell couldn’t figure it out, not to happy with this Dell even though it’s a gaming Dell.

Was told by Dell there was no way to undo even with the reset new computer.

I have 30 days so will prob send it back for a new one before Jan 8

The rest of your comment over my head. The early years in my USMC we used the 12” floppies and green machines 

Thise things were Marine proof. I’ve seen them floppies bent almost in half and still work

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Give me back the days of the old 12” floppy and green machines.

Way too modern.  PDP11-04.  Cold boot required opening the book and loading around 30 bytes by flipping 8 switches for address and 8 for data and pressing load for each byte.  After the about 30 bytes, enter one more address, and press run.  The 30 bytes was the bootstrap that told it how to load all the OS, Program and data from paper tape using a model 35 Teletype machine...  That was the "brain" for our communications system alarm system.  Had about 90 remote sites spread out over about 70,000 square miles.  Got replaced in the late 1980s.

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Way too modern.  PDP11-04.  Cold boot required opening the book and loading around 30 bytes by flipping 8 switches for address and 8 for data and pressing load for each byte.  After the about 30 bytes, enter one more address, and press run.  The 30 bytes was the bootstrap that told it how to load all the OS, Program and data from paper tape using a model 35 Teletype machine...  That was the "brain" for our communications system alarm system.  Had about 90 remote sites spread out over about 70,000 square miles.  Got replaced in the late 1980s.

Yep, was about 1987/ 8 when we received our first white computer in Okinawa with flight simulator on it.

Spent lunch every day playing that game

We still had the field green machines though. 

LOL