Light-O-Rama Forums

Just lost everything... (almost)

a31ford

51 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yep, was about 1987/ 8 when we received our first white computer in Okinawa with flight simulator on it.

Spent lunch every day playing that game

We still had the field green machines though. 

LOL

Spent 90-91 at Kadena Air Farce base stationed on the Navy (squidly) side of the airfield.  Had some good times there and played in a ton of softball tournaments.  Could of did without the humidity though.

15 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Spent 90-91 at Kadena Air Farce base stationed on the Navy (squidly) side of the airfield.  Had some good times there and played in a ton of softball tournaments.  Could of did without the humidity though.

85-93 with one year TDY to SanDiego LOL

If only there were digital cameras back in those days.

JR

Another back up option is  a program called Goodsync.  it sounds similar to JungleDisk above but it is locally installed.  I think they offer cloud storage, but I have used it for years to sync all my Computers and (now) two backup hard drives. I lost data a while back as well, hence the two backup drives.  Hopefully never again...... 

https://www.goodsync.com/personal

Chris

5 minutes ago, alchrisr01 said:

Another back up option is  a program called Goodsync.  it sounds similar to JungleDisk above but it is locally installed.  I think they offer cloud storage, but I have used it for years to sync all my Computers and (now) two backup hard drives. I lost data a while back as well, hence the two backup drives.  Hopefully never again...... 

https://www.goodsync.com/personal

Chris

Hope your show is well. I’m down a few props but all RGB going strong.

When will the rain end?

Thanks for the info as well.

JR

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

a31Ford - to cool 

I lost tons of pictures a few years ago as well.

MS has all but tricked us into the windows 10 everything “syncd crap”

Someone - I cant remember who - in the forums- told me I didn’t have to sync with my email and I could have a stand alone machine.

Tried that last week with a brand spanking new computer and it crashed! It would only log me into a temp account which I didn’t realize what that meant until I loaded LOR and logged off- no more LOR

Spent hours with Dell and they did a system restore - two days for a brand new laptop

Said there was no way to have a stand  alone even though I was given the option upon setup

Give me back the days of the old 12” floppy and green machines. Mr. P and a few others may know what they are.

JR

My first job out of the Navy, was with TriData. They made the Cartrifile. used a continuous loop tape (like an 8-track, except the pinch roller moved quick for rapid start-stop.). I maintained all the PDP-8L's we used. flick, flick Deposit, We also made a few paper tape emulators that use hard sectored 8" floppies (product worked, but bombed in the market). And 12bit CORE memory.

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Hope your show is well. I’m down a few props but all RGB going strong.

When will the rain end?

Thanks for the info as well.

JR

yep, everything was tied down well!  supposed to rain more this weekend as well.  I am not much of a prospect to hand out candy canes in the rain, but we bought 3000 and still have 2900 left so it looks like a rainsuit is in my future.  we hope take the light tour thursday night.

CR

BTW - I was a lucky try for free winner!

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Way too modern.  PDP11-04.  Cold boot required opening the book and loading around 30 bytes by flipping 8 switches for address and 8 for data and pressing load for each byte.  After the about 30 bytes, enter one more address, and press run.  The 30 bytes was the bootstrap that told it how to load all the OS, Program and data from paper tape using a model 35 Teletype machine...  That was the "brain" for our communications system alarm system.  Had about 90 remote sites spread out over about 70,000 square miles.  Got replaced in the late 1980s.

DEC/Wang Abortion my local city admin used back in the early 90's....

1 hour ago, alchrisr01 said:

yep, everything was tied down well!  supposed to rain more this weekend as well.  I am not much of a prospect to hand out candy canes in the rain, but we bought 3000 and still have 2900 left so it looks like a rainsuit is in my future.  we hope take the light tour thursday night.

CR

BTW - I was a lucky try for free winner!

Nice- at least a good LOR  person won something.

Its. Sup to rain all week- I am made of sugar spend as little time in the rain as possible. LOL

Text me if you come by - you can back in across the street in the grassy spot - owner did that for me, well I agree to fix it if damage but for several years no problem.

We will make y’all some hot chocolate and pop corn

JR

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

ALL THIS RAIN SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

My mega tree has a pond around it- looks like an unlit fountain.

Never had a pond there in the 6 years we have lived here. 

I agree with you! All of this relentless rain sux.

Been raining here almost daily since Halloween. Not many breaks. My MT has been flooded since Thanksgiving Day

JR

Edited by dibblejr

We finally had a hard frost here overnight so the ground is no longer soft and muddy. Glad I got my stuff staked down when it was soft, but it could be treacherous walking the dog up and down hills while the ground was so soft.

I did a little work on a PDP-11 a the school I was teaching at when I got out of college. And just to keep my programming street creds, that IBM 360 was programmed on punch cards. Try tracking down a bug using cards from a punch card machine that would print what you typed at the top but punch something else. Took a loooong time to learn which machine to NEVER go near.

• The topic was locked