Jump to content

Pixie16D Maximum Pixels


gayw90
 Share

Recommended Posts

The hardware manual that came with my Pixie16D says that I can have up to 170 pixels per string.  However, when I try to create a sequence (or even use the hardware utility) to light up all the pixels on a port with 3 12V strings of 50 pixels, only the first 100 pixels will light up.  Is this a limitation of the Pixie16D?  If there something in the configuration I missed?  In the Hardware Utility, I went to Config and told it 150 pixels per port, and when I test with HU, again only the first 100 pixels light up.

 

I do see in the manual that due to current draw, the 12V string are generally good for 100 pixels.  Is this the case?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gayw90 said:

The hardware manual that came with my Pixie16D says that I can have up to 170 pixels per string.  However, when I try to create a sequence (or even use the hardware utility) to light up all the pixels on a port with 3 12V strings of 50 pixels, only the first 100 pixels will light up.  Is this a limitation of the Pixie16D?  If there something in the configuration I missed?  In the Hardware Utility, I went to Config and told it 150 pixels per port, and when I test with HU, again only the first 100 pixels light up.

 

I do see in the manual that due to current draw, the 12V string are generally good for 100 pixels.  Is this the case?

Please read my Pixie16 Cinfiguration Step by Step stickied at the top of the General Hardware section of the forum.

It is covered within the instructions.

Also do not rely on the HU to mean anything more than your lights (if connected) work.

In order to get the 100+ option at this point in time you should follow the instructions I reference above.

Once you get to the “add a device” in SE you will add a “Pixcon16” instead of Pixie16. You will then have the option to set 100-170 pixels per port.

LOR is aware of this and will be at some point correct this.

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi JR,

Thanks for the reply.  I turns out that with the S5 software (the latest, 5.2.2, and I upgraded to firmware 1.04), there is no option that I can find to specify the device type, so nowhere that I can find to set it to a Pixcon16 other than HU.  Guess I will just have to use another channel for the extra string.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gayw90 said:

Hi JR,

Thanks for the reply.  I turns out that with the S5 software (the latest, 5.2.2, and I upgraded to firmware 1.04), there is no option that I can find to specify the device type, so nowhere that I can find to set it to a Pixcon16 other than HU.  Guess I will just have to use another channel for the extra string.

Someone that knows S5 will chime in but there is a way to add a device within S5. If I remember correctly there is a drop down somewhere upper right. The same place to set up networks.

After this season I am going to put S5 on an old computer just so I can get familiar but that's all with S5 for me.

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, gayw90 said:

Hi JR,

Thanks for the reply.  I turns out that with the S5 software (the latest, 5.2.2, and I upgraded to firmware 1.04), there is no option that I can find to specify the device type, so nowhere that I can find to set it to a Pixcon16 other than HU.  Guess I will just have to use another channel for the extra string.

You absolutely CAN define a device type of PixCon 16 with 10 pixel strings in 5.2.2.  I don't normally add devices in the Preview Editor, but here are some screen captures.  Start by bringing up your list of Previews, and for this example, I am creating a new Preview, so I pressed the + button.

Adding_a_Pixcon16-1.png

That will bring up a blank Preview.  Presumably you would be editing an existing Preview.  Press the button to Add Item.

Adding_a_Pixcon16-2.png

That should bring up the Add New Item dialog box.  You will see I have "Add a Light-O-Rama device" selected.  Press continue.

Adding_a_Pixcon16-3.png

When you first bring up the Add a Light-O-Rama Device dialog box, it will default to a LOR/CTB (16 Channel).

Adding_a_Pixcon16-4.png

Change the Device to PixCon 16, and fill in starting Unit ID, network, and number of pixels.  Then click OK

Adding_a_Pixcon16-5.png

Congratulations, you now have just added a PixCon 16 with 170 pixels per port.

Adding_a_Pixcon16-6.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

You absolutely CAN define a device type of PixCon 16 with 10 pixel strings in 5.2.2.  I don't normally add devices in the Preview Editor, but here are some screen captures.  Start by bringing up your list of Previews, and for this example, I am creating a new Preview, so I pressed the + button.

Adding_a_Pixcon16-1.png

That will bring up a blank Preview.  Presumably you would be editing an existing Preview.  Press the button to Add Item.

Adding_a_Pixcon16-2.png

That should bring up the Add New Item dialog box.  You will see I have "Add a Light-O-Rama device" selected.  Press continue.

Adding_a_Pixcon16-3.png

When you first bring up the Add a Light-O-Rama Device dialog box, it will default to a LOR/CTB (16 Channel).

Adding_a_Pixcon16-4.png

Change the Device to PixCon 16, and fill in starting Unit ID, network, and number of pixels.  Then click OK

Adding_a_Pixcon16-5.png

Congratulations, you now have just added a PixCon 16 with 170 pixels per port.

Adding_a_Pixcon16-6.png

 

Jim- he actually has a pixie16 but to get the 100+ max pixels he has to configure it as a pixcon16 until LOR puts out a firmware update.

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Jim- he actually has a pixie16 but to get the 100+ max pixels he has to configure it as a pixcon16 until LOR puts out a firmware update.

I understood that part, but he said he could not find any way to specify a device type of PixCon 16.  Since I know you are not using S5, I wanted to show that he COULD add a PixCon 16 in S5.2.2

Personally I don't normally define devices in Preview Editor, but rather props.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I understood that part, but he said he could not find any way to specify a device type of PixCon 16.  Since I know you are not using S5, I wanted to show that he COULD add a PixCon 16 in S5.2.2

Personally I don't normally define devices in Preview Editor, but rather props.

 

Wasn’t sure if you knew. That’s a great ref pic for me.

Thank you

Hiws the show running? I imagine flawless.

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Hows the show running? I imagine flawless.

Well, close.  Opening night on Friday went damn near perfect.  Had about 50 people for the opening.  I baked 335 Chocolate Chip cookies for the event and have a bunch left over.  Tonight I started running the Show under MIIP and at the scheduled time, nothing happened.  Finally went back to the Non-MIIP show.  BobO just figured it out - I had done an Oops and was trying to call up my 2017 MIIP show.  Fixed that and MIIP is now working.  I still have a couple things to set up and a couple minor repair items, but it is enough to have a good show.  I have been working so hard to get the show operational, so I decided to do nothing today.  Tomorrow I'll at least work on the repair items.

BTW, the singing faces were a big hit at the opening last night!  Thank you!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim and JR, thanks for all of the help you have offered.

I followed Jim's steps, created a new preview as Jim said, then created a new animation sequence (10 seconds long, repeat) and set all channels to turn on.  Still only lit up the first 100 pixels on the channel that has 3 strings.  Maybe this really is a firmware issue that can't be solved by trying to fool the software into thinking it is using a different controller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Don locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...