Light-O-Rama Forums

Child Labor

DavBro

My 13 year old daughter wanted in on the build this year. We had 4 boxes to do, so we each built two. She started with a little Ramsey Traffic Light kit just to get her feet wet. Finished all four boxes tonight and tested them. All checked out fine on the Hardware Utility. She is pretty proud (and so is her dad :)).

[align=center]leslie.jpg[/align]

Oh, to have young eyes and not need a magnifying light! Now, can you get her to sequence for you?

Seriously though, I would be proud too. When family members get involved, it makes everything more fun and brings everyone closer.

• 6 months later...

Wonderful!! I spent a lot of time with my younger brother when he was about 13. I taught him to solder, and repair. Today he works as a Q.A. manager for a electronics UPS company. It is amazing the positive impact we have on others by teaching. Keep it up. BTW, if you ever wanted to video someone putting a kit together, having a younger person would have an-if-I-can-do-this-so-can-you persona.

That's not "child labor" that's a wonderful experience for both!

Kudos to Dad for giving his daughter the hands on experience and

kudos to his daughter for not thinking her Dad is a geek and wanting to

learn something new.

Nothing beats good quality family time!

Way to go!

I agree with Ed and a few of the other post. I am glad you slipped and ended up posting this on the board. I'ts great to see that you got your daughter involved and this might be an incentive for other fathers to get their son or daughters if they are interested involved.

I got my oldest daughter interested in Amateur radio. She did get her general ticket.

BTW great shot of her working on the board.

Max

HOW lucky some are to have a 13 year old interested in the things you are also interested in, in fact just to have a 13 year old. Have no childern, just the wife and I with more interest and toys than we desirve in life and no one to share them with. You are a lucky man my friend.

I agree Roger but don't lose sight of something.

My wife and I are "DINK"s - Dual Income No Kids

So we share with the people that stop by to visit our display

and when we start to recognize repeat visitors we know we are

doing it for all the right reasons and making a lot of people smile. :):D

:) Great job ! i can't get my son to do anything unless I practically force him.. your daughter certainly has what it takes to make it in this world. kudos to her! to dad... ^5 High Five!

Ed Slonka Jr wrote:

I agree Roger but don't lose sight of something.

My wife and I are "DINK"s - Dual Income No Kids

So we share with the people that stop by to visit our display

and when we start to recognize repeat visitors we know we are

doing it for all the right reasons and making a lot of people smile. :D:D

My first post here -- I am more of a lurker here on LOR's board vs PC :) :)

My wife and I are the same way -- DINK (if you want to put it that way -- I prefer the term childfree), married 3 years, together 13 years, willingly. We choose to give back to the community around us with our light displays, enjoyable by anyone between the ages of 2 to 102. Heck the best time we had was watching a young couple with their two young children dancing to our show, while we watched our show from the car one night. Doing Christmas displays interests the BOTH of us as a common hobby/obsession that we share...and gladly.

In other words, just because two people do not have children doesn't mean that they want children and just can't have them. We have other ways of sharing :D:P

2008 - 48 ch, 2500 lights
2009 - 208 ch, 14000 lights

http://www.staffordchristmaslights.com

My wife has a married daughter who lives in another town (350 miles away) who is married and doing very will, they both work and also have no childern. I never had any childern and married late in life I was 39. I worked overseas for several years. The wife and I do try and share what God has blessed us with. My shop is the naubor hood gerog for all the kids and my elect shop is where they repair ther car radios. I am a long time ham radio operator and I help kids who want to learn the hobby and trade of electrons. So I guess I do have kids just not my own by chose. We are doing the lights now as a way to enjoy people and maybe help bring a little joy to this world and of course maybe I just might learn a little something. Thanks for all the help answering my questions, I still have lots to ask.