Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16D - Harware Utility saying "Unknown Device ???"

nsbear23

First off, I should mention that I'm a newbie... :)  I have two controllers CTB16PCg3 and Pixie16D (Second Generation). Everything seemed to be going okay but I couldn't get my Pixie lights to work in the sequence editor after programing them in Pixie Editor, soooo.... I thought it might be a firmware issue, so I updated that in the Hardware Utility... Since then, (in the Hardware Utility program) when I click on the refresh button in the "Select Unit to Configure" the Pixie16D is now coming up, but is showing  "01 - Unknown Device ???"

How do I fix this?  

Thanks, Chris

How many RS485 dongles do you have?

(and BTW could you update your profile to show what version of Showtime. It helps with the answers)

Pixies are FAST (and want to be on a Red Dongle)   Your G3 PC16  is a bit slower.  but should work at 500K.

Check the chart.

http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

Also 2nd gen pixies allow the LAST DEVICE (only) ON network to be terminated JP4. IMHO a good plan

Hello,  I am using a USB485 Booster.  The device name was okay until I updated the firmware... I have even unplugged the other controller and did a refresh and still shows as Unknown Device....:(

1 minute ago, nsbear23 said:

Hello,  I am using a USB485 Booster.  The device name was okay until I updated the firmware... I have even unplugged the other controller and did a refresh and still shows as Unknown Device....:(

That may be your problem.  The 'booster' is for slow networks.  You need a 500K speed for the Pixie.

You may have been squeaking by before, but it does not take mutch to move the 'edge' between what works and doesn't

If I could ask a question as I'm in a similar situation.  The RS485B does support enhanced networks with Pro level license.  Will the enhanced network and smaller intensity files help the situation?

10 minutes ago, sticks4legs said:

If I could ask a question as I'm in a similar situation.  The RS485B does support enhanced networks with Pro level license.  Will the enhanced network and smaller intensity files help the situation?

Rule #1 (for this topic): All controllers that are connected to the adapter MUST support 'Enhanced'.  No Mixing non-compliant controllers  allowed.. Put those on another (non-enhanced) network.

Rule #2: Run controllers within their acceptable speed range.

(My Rule #3: Terminate the end of the line controller on fast networks. New generation controllers have a Jumper. Or make a RJ45 with a 120ohm resistor between 4,5 (1/4w has a lead size that work with direct crimp RJ45 ) )

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have two of the Easy Light Linkers, one connected to the USB458B from my PC and the other is plugged into one of my controllers. I have done a Hardware test and all is good. Closed out of HU and open SE, tried running sequence and the lights will not work... Not sure what I'm doing wrong...I have a 16PC-G3 controller and a Pixie16 controller, the easy light linker is plugged into the 16PC controller.

Sequence editor, LOR Network (Regular, COM 3, 500.0K (LOR Fastest), Enhanced)  

Any help would be appreciated.

ELLs CANNOT do high speed so you would have to put the Pixie on its own network and turn the speed down on the ELL network for them to work.

So if I'm running my show thru my PC, are you saying that I would have to have the Pixie controller hardwired (thru door or window) with the Red Dongle? 

Just now, nsbear23 said:

So if I'm running my show thru my PC, are you saying that I would have to have the Pixie controller hardwired (thru door or window) with the Red Dongle? 

Yes, you cannot use a Pixie16 with ELLs. Pixie's rquire a 500k network which is too fast for ELLs.

I've connected a CAT5 cable with dongle to the control, tested, and ran song thru SE and worked perfectly.... thanks for your help.

• The topic was locked