Light-O-Rama Forums

new computer suggestions

DLH lites

I used my old dell laptop last year it's 12 years old and is pitching fits this year last leg I guess. Any suggestions for a replacement that isn't a arm and leg $$$$$$

David

33 minutes ago, DLH lites said:

I used my old dell laptop last year it's 12 years old and is pitching fits this year last leg I guess. Any suggestions for a replacement that isn't a arm and leg $$$$$$

David

Not an arm and a leg? Give us a price limit and we can give you some ideas.

Take a look at either Dell outlet - https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjwi7_uh63dAhWOnH4KHQr5B20YABAAGgJwYw&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2dvIkRMNN9l-bjJH7L6HK&sig=AOD64_0iM3oCDs7bOEBLWvFzamYt_S95OA&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjw4rnuh63dAhWLFTQIHR8SB54Q0Qx6BAgCEAI&adurl=

or Tiger Direct refurb: - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/campaigns/deals.asp?campaignid=3331

I have bought a number of computers over the years from both.  Never had a problem and you can save quite a it of money. 

For a show computer, you don't need a lot of computer.  For a sequencing computer, yes, a higher end computer is better.  I just bought this on from the Dell Outlet a few months ago.  It's a pretty high end gaming computer.  Saved at least $500 by going through the outlet.

Computer update  found a new dell inspiron 15  mod 3565  --4 gb  memory  1tb hard drive  windows 10 dvd/rw drive   On sale at BJ's here in Fort Lauderdale for $299.00 was $90.00 off till the 18th of sept. It took me longer to set up the computer than it did to load  LOR. Every thing works and I am back in business !

Thanks Yall

David

• Like 1

Haven't seen a BJ's since I was down south many years ago. Is it still by the Home Depot at 595 and University? Use to shop there back in the 90's

Hey Gris , that one is still there , ours is two blocks from or house , commercial and powerline it was built after we moved here from NYC in  2004, we are .in there at least two times a week

David   AKA  ELF

Ahh ok I know right where you are talking about. Use to live off opb. But closer to university in old sunrise.

we are in twin lakes, bought my first house and then hurricane Wilma did a lot of damage gezzz what a mess, but it's all good now just no screen enclosure, I have no idea where it went , it just kinda took off during the storm.  Thank goodness I wasnt on the roof putting up five foot tall snowflakes, theyed be a goner and me HEHEH

David

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rondaxmas said:

Would a Lenova laptop with 2gb memory work, or would I need one with 4gb

Assuming it's Windows 10, I would not go below 4GB of RAM.  Will it work with 2GB?  Yes.

Lots of RAM > Good!

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Assuming it's Windows 10, I would not go below 4GB of RAM.  Will it work with 2GB?  Yes.

Lots of RAM > Good!

thanks, appreciate it....Ill get the 4

FYI...  I see they have gone up $30 since last years model, but I love the Acer Aspire E15 series for general workhorse laptops.  For $380 they are a great buy.

I have a side client and I have been purchasing that model for them for a couple of years now.  They absolutely love them.  With the exception of one, where I'm sure the user entered a glass of water into the keyboard instead of his password, I have never had a problem with any of them.

I just purchased an HP Omen with an i7-8700, 512 SDD, 2TB HD, 16M memory, and a NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11G graphics card, plus 2 - 27" curved monitors.  I'm thinking I should be able to do a little bit of video editing now with this baby.

Now I'm just waiting for it to ship.  Sigh....

17 minutes ago, jfuller8400 said:

I just purchased an HP Omen with an i7-8700, 512 SDD, 2TB HD, 16M memory, and a NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11G graphics card, plus 2 - 27" curved monitors.  I'm thinking I should be able to do a little bit of video editing now with this baby.

That's a serious computer!  Very similar to the Dell I got a few months ago.  You have the 1080ti to my 1070ti video card, and I am using my existing 24 inch monitors.

Enjoy it!

RAM is fairly cheap. Laptops have limited RAM slots.  You don''t ADD RAM, you REPLACE the existing RAM with bigger.

Buy BIGGER when possible

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

That's a serious computer!  Very similar to the Dell I got a few months ago.  You have the 1080ti to my 1070ti video card, and I am using my existing 24 inch monitors.

Enjoy it!

Jim, you may disagree as you seem to run a Christmas show biggest enough to be seen from the space station.  From my experience, it doesn't require much of a powerful computer to run a light show with LOR. ?

No, it does not take a lot of computer to RUN a show.  It takes a lot more to sequence a show.  The primary reason I replaced it is that the video card could not keep up with thousands of pixels.  I did replace my show computer a year ago, but that was primarily to upgrade from WinXP. It’s a run of the mill computer that I paid less for hat $200 for.

Here are the specs of the computers I use, both are laptops:

Show:

MSI GT70  (2012, Windows 7 Ultimate)

I7-3610QM

NVIDIA FeForce GTX 675M

32GB ram

Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD

Sequencing:

Sager NP9175  (2018, Windows 10 Pro)

I7-8700K

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

32GB ram

Samsumg 970 Evo NVMe 1TB SSD

I just got my laptop and having trouble with it.  It is a dell with windows and when I turned it on it says it is running edge?  I went to the LOR website and clicked download for software, but nothing happened.  It says I purchased 5 seat license for light o rama basic plus with superstar demo.  Which part of the downloads should I be choosing.  My email says to download from the website,  then to use the new license, open Sequence Editor and click Help,  then register.    Should this be done before trying to download?  Thanks for any help .  I haven't been able to do this during the day yet because its been hectic here, so the nights are more quiet.