Light-O-Rama Forums

new computer suggestions

DLH lites

1 hour ago, rondaxmas said:

I just got my laptop and having trouble with it.  It is a dell with windows and when I turned it on it says it is running edge?  I went to the LOR website and clicked download for software, but nothing happened.  It says I purchased 5 seat license for light o rama basic plus with superstar demo.  Which part of the downloads should I be choosing.  My email says to download from the website,  then to use the new license, open Sequence Editor and click Help,  then register.    Should this be done before trying to download?  Thanks for any help .  I haven't been able to do this during the day yet because its been hectic here, so the nights are more quiet.  

Edge is the "new" web browser that comes with Windows 10.  Internet Explorer should be there as well (if you really want to use it.  I THINK Google Chrome was on it as well, but I may have downloaded and installed that too.  You can if desired, download and install a different browser if desired.  For example,  use FireFox as my preferred browser, so one of the first things I did with this Win 10 computer was to download and install FireFox and Thunderbird.

The LOR download page is:  http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-download/

You can download and install either 4.3.34 or 5.1.2 (your choice).  When you run the registration utility, it will pull the license level for both the core LOR software and also for SuperStar from the LOR license server.  With no LOR software ever installed on that computer, as I recall, the registration utility will run automatically when you start Sequence Editor (S4) or Sequencer (S5).  If it doesn't, click Help then register.  You type in the information from the E-Mail with your license information, it will verify it and the software will now work.  It's real easy.  In fact it will take less time than it did for me to type that.

22 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Edge is the "new" web browser that comes with Windows 10.  Internet Explorer should be there as well (if you really want to use it.  I THINK Google Chrome was on it as well, but I may have downloaded and installed that too.  You can if desired, download and install a different browser if desired.  For example,  use FireFox as my preferred browser, so one of the first things I did with this Win 10 computer was to download and install FireFox and Thunderbird.

The LOR download page is:  http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-download/

You can download and install either 4.3.34 or 5.1.2 (your choice).  When you run the registration utility, it will pull the license level for both the core LOR software and also for SuperStar from the LOR license server.  With no LOR software ever installed on that computer, as I recall, the registration utility will run automatically when you start Sequence Editor (S4) or Sequencer (S5).  If it doesn't, click Help then register.  You type in the information from the E-Mail with your license information, it will verify it and the software will now work.  It's real easy.  In fact it will take less time than it did for me to type that.

Thank you, I finally got it to work!  Took me forever.  I thought If I put a new browser on I wouldn't have windows.  It is hard to use after using a Mac for so long.  I got the license thing to work, now I am signing in to buy a higher version, than may need help adding that license to it.  Can't wait to try it all out.  Looks confusing right now tho!

I'm thinking about getting a laptop to run my show. Last year my pc wouldn't start the show when my pc was asleep. I( or someone home, if I was working ) had to go to my pc and wake it up ( a simple mouse click or press of spacebar) and show would start every night. we dealt with it and it worked. "ITS 6 SOMEONE START THE SHOW" Did I miss something????? Will a laptop run the show while its on but closed? Audio out? ( I run combination of headphone adapter to rca audio out to a soundbar I mount under my eve)  I had to move my pc and I dont wanna run cables into my bedroom. I can put a laptop in my garage and route my ethernet and audio to it. we use enough power for lights anyways no more sleep mode on pc for holidays? 

6 hours ago, JayStang said:

I'm thinking about getting a laptop to run my show. Last year my pc wouldn't start the show when my pc was asleep. I( or someone home, if I was working ) had to go to my pc and wake it up ( a simple mouse click or press of spacebar) and show would start every night. we dealt with it and it worked. "ITS 6 SOMEONE START THE SHOW" Did I miss something????? Will a laptop run the show while its on but closed? Audio out? ( I run combination of headphone adapter to rca audio out to a soundbar I mount under my eve)  I had to move my pc and I dont wanna run cables into my bedroom. I can put a laptop in my garage and route my ethernet and audio to it. we use enough power for lights anyways no more sleep mode on pc for holidays? 

Windows Laptops have settings under POWER for what to do when the lid is closed. I leave on battery alone, On AC does nothing (leaves it running).

WOL (wake on LAN) might be a handy option. You send a 'magic packet' from an 'admin' system to the MAC (address) to wake things up.  Windows Update might prove a PITA. that can require that the user logon (I really don't suggest autologon on a laptop )

• The topic was locked