Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 multi use

ukoberon

So i am currently transitioning over to smart pixels and using spare channels this year as part of the process.

I have 2 x pixie16s which drive 12 ribbon ccr trees and leave 4 channels free - i am wanting to use the 4 spare channels to drive strings of 100 pixels. I have set the pixie 16 to be 100 per channel but i am concerned now that this will cause problems for the ccr ribbons as the setting is global rather than per channel.

1. will my setting the controller to 100 pixels cause problems for the ccr trees

2. on the HU there was a setting that allowed me to change the controller to 100 which worked fine - but should i have changed the logical resolution value also and what effect would this have on ccrs?

thanks.

The logical resolution setting in the pixie16 will only work for the first 50 pixels.

If you have 100 pixel strings I think ( not experienced this) that the other 50 will work like dump pixels.

The pixies are easy to use and more affordable but lose the user control functions that the pixcom have.

I use my pixies solely for one prop or groups of props. Don’t know what would happen to two different props with different node counts connected.

i wish LOR would allow us to create a visualization with props featuring 100 pixels or the maximum amount per a device. This would surely take some of the guess work out.

JR

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I wish LOR would allow us to create a visualization with props featuring 100 pixels or the maximum amount per a device. This would surely take some of the guess work out.

I second this. I am nowhere near the amount of pixels you guys have but having four 50 count Pixel arches and only being able to see two in the visualizer is kind of frustrating.

1 minute ago, GriswoldStyle said:

I second this. I am nowhere near the amount of pixels you guys have but having four 50 count Pixel arches and only being able to see two in the visualizer is kind of frustrating.

That is a new one to me. Now I am gonna have to look at that. I no longer have any arches but I can see all 4 circles in vis- I think. It’s been a while though.

i was mostly speaking of building a 100 pixel node tree or prop. The vis only allows 50.

JR

Ahhh ok. Sorry to chime in on wrong post. With mine I have an old style CCD with 50 each port using S4, even though there is 100 pixels per CCD it only renders 50.  Maybe there is a work around. I'm going to try to research the forums today about it.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

The logical resolution setting in the pixie16 will only work for the first 50 pixels.

If you have 100 pixel strings I think ( not experienced this) that the other 50 will work like dump pixels.

The pixies are easy to use and more affordable but lose the user control functions that the pixcom have.

I use my pixies solely for one prop or groups of props. Don’t know what would happen to two different props with different node counts connected.

i wish LOR would allow us to create a visualization with props featuring 100 pixels or the maximum amount per a device. This would surely take some of the guess work out.

JR

Thanks JR  - hoping that someone from LOR will be able to advise as i dont want to damage any CCRs or controllers by doing this.

It doesn't matter if you configure more pixels than there are in a string/ribbon. Data beyond the last physical pixel is ignored. The only effect you will see is when using the test button to test the pixel strings/ribbons. There will be a pause before the controller steps to the next color because the controller is sending data to non-existent pixels at the end of your strings/ribbons.

4 minutes ago, LightORamaJohn said:

It doesn't matter if you configure more pixels than there are in a string/ribbon. Data beyond the last physical pixel is ignored. The only effect you will see is when using the test button to test the pixel strings/ribbons. There will be a pause before the controller steps to the next color because the controller is sending data to non-existent pixels at the end of your strings/ribbons.

Thank you John, just learned something new about my 100 string test and the “pause” with the side by side 50

JR

• The topic was locked