Light-O-Rama Forums

Cannot Set ID on new Pixie 4D 1st gen

Obejohnknobe

Hello everyone!

So I am finally got a sequence completed and want to try it on my cards (with lights) and have started to set the Unit ID on them.  I was able to set a Pixie 8 unit id with no issues and tried 2 - Pixie 4Ds 1st gen, one with 5vdc and the other with 12vdc with no success.  Neither was programmed before and tried to set the id in the hardware utility unsuccessfully in each.  Did the once over at least 3 times to check the jumpers in the correct spot, checked fuse, did a reset, and the led light blinks 2 times a second (no code).  Have rebooted the computer and tried a different hex setting ID on the Pixie 8 and reset it back to my original hex code plan and have no issues.  The Pixie 4D 1st gen hardware setting error states it cannot find the unit and check the connections and power.  I looked on the forum and nothing I can see relates to this unless I am typing my search with nothing that pops up, i.e. cannot set unit id to pixie 4d 1st gen.  Again, these were just pulled out of the boxes and connected to set the unit id to check my displays (purchased a few years back).  BTW, no lights were connected during the setting of the id and Hex codes were different on each card, power checked good and cat 5 cable was tested (cat 5 tester).  The cat 5 connectors on the cards are sturdy and do not move.

Any ideas??? 

I have 2 new Pixie 8s and another Pixie 4 purchased during the Mad Grab sale this past April are going to be next in the programming line.  Lastly will be the 2 - Pixie 16 (one is working the other is new) and a 16 channel CTB unit that works great all to be reprogrammed. 

Thank you'll for listening,

John M.

Edited by Obejohnknobe

Are you familiar on how unit ID's are assigned to Pixie controllers? I mean, if you assign ID 1 to a Pixie8 then it will actually use ID's 1-8. The next controller would have to start at ID 9.

First, hex max is F0 in hu which is well over the max I need.  Second, I made a hex spreadsheet to id each pixie card.  For example the pixie 8 id is 31. Pixie 4 is 2a and the other pixie 4 will be 2e.  It appears programming is not the issue but the card does not like the software.

What adapter are you using for connecting your controllers?

Readon why I ask is during beta testing I found I didn’t need a HS adapter for the pixie16’s however I did need a HS adapter for my 4’s.

I never used my one pixie 2. 

Youve got to get the unit ids set before you worry about the programming. They are two separate issues.

You need to start from the beginning explaining what adapter and what happens.

If HU cannot find the controller it’s a comm Issue, not a software issue. Unless you had a very old version of SE that was out prior to the pixie series. In this case you indicate you do not.

JR

I have the both the USB-RS485HS and the USB-RS485B.  I was using the HS adapter for both the Pixie 8 and Pixie 4.  Pixie 8 works but not the Pixie 4 when talking to it.  Agreed it is a comm issue but it may be the software (older Pixie) the card has on it since my software is the current v4.3.26 Pro.  I tried the RS485B and again, it will not talk to each other and get the same error to check the cable and power supply.  Check voltages and cable tested and all checked good.  Did try it again on my Pixie 8 and worked like a charm changing the unit id several times and then changed it back to what is need for the display.  I am going to try the newer Pixie 4 and 8 cards I picked up this past April and see what happen.  Thinking it is a card issue

Anyone know how to get my software version below my name?  I have tried to get my profile changed but cannot find a place to get it (software version) to appear.

15 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Anyone know how to get my software version below my name?  I have tried to get my profile changed but cannot find a place to get it (software version) to appear.

Click on your avitar picture by your user name (top right corner).

On the next page click on "edit profile" top right corner

Scroll down on left to fill out the info

JR

• Like 1

Thanks!  Got it changed! 

I just went and installed my new Pixie 4 card in the same place as the old one (remove and replaced) and it appears it is the same version as the older card with all the items in the same place and cannot find out which one is different.  Fired it up and changed the unit id on HU and it came back with the same error as the older one with check cables and power.  The difference is the LED light is now steady so I did a refresh on the HU and it shows the card!!!  I did a quick test setup with lights and it works!  I think it is the card, any ideas why the older card will not take the unit id?

48 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Thanks!  Got it changed! 

I just went and installed my new Pixie 4 card in the same place as the old one (remove and replaced) and it appears it is the same version as the older card with all the items in the same place and cannot find out which one is different.  Fired it up and changed the unit id on HU and it came back with the same error as the older one with check cables and power.  The difference is the LED light is now steady so I did a refresh on the HU and it shows the card!!!  I did a quick test setup with lights and it works!  I think it is the card, any ideas why the older card will not take the unit id?

Is there a firmware update for the old card? 

I just checked and there is no update. You may want open a help desk ticket and send it in for inspection/ repair.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
added "want"
  • Sad 1

LOR website under support and firmware  says there is, but not available.   If I cannot talk to the card, is it possible to download the update if there was one available?  Thanks  John

Pixie2 smart controller (2 ports) Pixie2D 1.x firmware not available
Pixie4 smart controller (4 ports) Pixie4D 1.x firmware not available
Pixie8 smart controller (8 ports) Pixie8D 1.x firmware not available
Pixie16 smart controller (16 ports) Pixie16D 1.x firmware

not available

Thank you!  I did not know they would do repairs and have you had any experience on getting them repair through LOR?

John

15 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Thank you!  I did not know they would do repairs and have you had any experience on getting them repair through LOR?

John

I do have another question. Are you sure you do not have the pixie4DMX? 

Probably not on the firmware update.

Have you checked the jack you are using to connect to the adapter. Maybe one or more of the pins are bent or dirty since you've had it a while.

This is probably the best time to send it to LOR. Most if not all of the trouble/ repair tickets have probably been completed and in mid summer before the summer sale.

I have only had one problematic device and there was absolutely no problem. They actually sent me a replacement and I in return sent the item back to them after I received the replacement. Not sure if that will be your case but if they can repair they will. Not sure of cost though.

A trouble ticket is your best option, just ask for a repair or service. They will instruct you what to do.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

20 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

LOR website under support and firmware  says there is, but not available.   If I cannot talk to the card, is it possible to download the update if there was one available?  Thanks  John

Pixie2 smart controller (2 ports) Pixie2D 1.x firmware not available
Pixie4 smart controller (4 ports) Pixie4D 1.x firmware not available
Pixie8 smart controller (8 ports) Pixie8D 1.x firmware not available
Pixie16 smart controller (16 ports) Pixie16D 1.x firmware

not available

Actually the firmware it is showing is the current firmware. The firmware update says "not available". Im not sure if LOR has released the beta firmware some of us tested. Only 1 of mine has that beta firmware and I saw no difference in operation between that and the non firmware update pixie16's I have. I still think its something to do with your connector or pcb itself.

JR

LOR has stated that there is a firmware update but they don't post it because too many are screwing up the card. When you open a ticket if they think it can use the update then they will give it to you.

I did try both cat 5 connectors on the card and still nothing when I was testing so I will be getting online with LOR to see if there is a fix.  Thank you for all of your help!  I do not know what I would do if it was not for this forum and all of you helping!

Thank you!!

John

As far as it being the DMX, there is a definite difference between the Pixie4 and the Pixie4 DMX.  It would have the XLR connectors and mine does not.  Thanks for asking as I did go back into the booklet and found the DMX card..

John

• The topic was locked