Light-O-Rama Forums

Need help with DIY problem.

cuonebay

Hello everyone,

Well, I have 5 controllers down and I have not had a single problem, until last night. I think I was working on the boards a little to late. I finished about 2:00 A.M. I did learn a lesson, when your tired, STOP. I make two mistakes and I am not sure if either one of them is the problem. The first one was with U2. It has to socket you solder on first and then snap the micro-processor into the socket. I soldered the socket backwards, but I noticed it before I placed the micro-processor in the socket correctly. So the processor is mounted correctly, but the socket is still backwards. Would this cause channels 9-16 to not work at all? My second mistake was with US, the 20 Pin IC. I soldered it in the wrong direction. I noticed this right away and tried desoldering it, but 20 pins is hard to do. I was able to get the 20 pin IC out and I soldered a new one in from another LOR kit I have. I just hope I did not damage the board with excessive heat while trying to remove the IC mounted the incorrect direction.

When I boot up the board, everything looks good and the lights work great on channels 1-8, but I don't get anything from channels 9-16. Any tips or ideas. I have looked over everything else and compaired it to the other boads that work fine and everything looks good. I checked for bridges or joints that were not soldered, and everything looks good. Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt

as I recall one of the resistor networks has to be in correctly. You may want to double check the resistor networks for proper orientation.

If nothing else works. Remember LOR's warranty.

Chuck

Hey Chuck, Thanks for your reply. I will check that out. I have another 10 controllers to build, so I will continue and I hope this is the only problem I encounter. Thanks again, Matt