Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon16 No ethernet connection

Cstmkr

Hello! I have opened a trouble ticket with this information - I have a new Pixcon16 card mounted in a CG1500 box. I set the board up connected to my router using the Network configuration tool, and successfully tested a 100 light set of RGB pixels. I simply brought the box from my test location upstairs, to my computer that runs my light show downstairs, and I can no longer see the board on my network. I took the board back to the original test location, and it is not seen there anymore either. I pressed the factory IP button on the board with no success. I shut down my computer, connected the board to the ethernet port of my PC, then booted up the PC, then the board. Still no go. The only thing that may not look right is the ethernet port of the Pixcon16. There is a solid amber light on the right side of the ethernet port, with or without an ethernet cable plugged in. Any suggestions?

Do you get a 'link light' on your routers port when you attach the Pixcon to it?

<bulb> Liik inside the RJ45 jack.: bent pins might cause the LED to come on (and make the port inop )

Thanks for responding. No link light on any router port I connect it to. I have working CAT5 cables. The Pixcon RF45 jack looks good inside. No bent pins. 

I tried to upload a picture of the Pixcon port light for what it's worth, but I am restricted from uploading another picture. Not sure why. :)

Pixcon pins.jpg

Edited by Cstmkr

No link usually is:

No power on board

Board failed to initialize port (or whole board) That Yellow is the one that sticks on? That is traffic. the ethernet line module nay have issues . examine the back of the board for a flattened pin around the connector or near U6 on the top)

bad connector (ruled out pins)

bad/poor cable plug (Does it click home?)

54 minutes ago, Cstmkr said:

I tried to upload a picture of the Pixcon port light for what it's worth, but I am restricted from uploading another picture. Not sure why

The forum has a fairly small overall storage limit per user.  The normal workaround is to upload the photo to any website that you have access to and post a link to the photo.  For example, this photo is actually on my web server:

TuneTo_cyan.jpg

I just typed the link, and the forum goes out and grabs it when needed.  Most people use one of the public photo sharing sites.

Update - The LOR helpdesk came to the conclusion that my Pixcon16 board is bad. They are sending a replacement as the board was purchased in September, 2017. I noticed what may appear to be poor soldering on the bottom of the board around the ethernet jack. They are not your normal shiny silver beads of solder.  A big thank you to everybody that replied with a suggestion!!

1 hour ago, Cstmkr said:

Update - The LOR helpdesk came to the conclusion that my Pixcon16 board is bad. They are sending a replacement as the board was purchased in September, 2017. I noticed what may appear to be poor soldering on the bottom of the board around the ethernet jack. They are not your normal shiny silver beads of solder.  A big thank you to everybody that replied with a suggestion!!

Cold solder joints will bite you at the worst time.  You were lucky to find it early.

FWIW the jack takes a lot more heat to solder properly and is usually 'touched up' (or inserted), post wave.

• The topic was locked