Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24D interfering with LOR CTBPC setup

Ohio Countryboy

I am trying once again this year to incorporate my CMB24D into my LOR PC operated system. The past 2 years have proved unsuccessful for me. When I hook up the CMB24D to the PC, LOR Hardware finds it and tests OK (everything works). I am using 5 CTBPCg3 controllers operated by a Windows based PC. I have NO issues with this until I introduce the CMB24D into the mix (total of 6 controllers). LOR Hardware will recognize the CMD24D and 3 CTBPCg3 controllers and finds 4 "unknown" controllers (total of 8 controllers). I have tested all the LAN connection cables, CMD24D voltage, and have also inserted the additional 12v power to the board. None of this has helped and I am very frustrated with this issue. Any new ideas?

Adding a CMB24D is very simple, you just set the ID with the dip switches on the board and connect.

When adding your six total controllers add them one at a time. Add the first controller and find it in the HU. When that is good add the second and find both in the HU. Keep doing this until all six are connected and found or stop the instant you find an error and fix it before continuing.

If you have three connected and found in the HU and the fourth states "Unknown Device", stop. Check the cable, check the rj45 connectors, the little pins inside could be pushed in or bent, see if a sequence will play onit as sometimes the HU just won't see them, However, if the led on the controller is solid then the controller is receiving data. Once found go to the next controller and continue adding.

The controllers do not need to be in any specific order and can be any order you want.

Thanks for your reply Mr.P. As I stated previously all 5 of my CTBPC controllers are working just fine. The Hardware Utility finds them and tests OK. it's when I add the CMB24D the issue begins (which tests OK by itself).

I know this may sound strange, but I would also check to make sure you don't have any continuity between your positive and negative outputs on your power supply.  I had a similar(ish) issue earlier this year where I fried two USB 485 adapters when I plugged in my CMB24D.  Turned out that one of the mounting screws for the PS extended too far into the case and created some type of short.  The board powered up just fine but toasted the USB adapter when I plugged i the RJ45 cable.

After more troubleshooting, I found when I hooked my units together and powered them up, my lights on another controller started dancing as if they were getting the command to sequence. Since the CMB24 can be programmed to stand alone, I think it my be possible there is something programmed into it. 

I hooked up the CMD24 after doing a reset and got the same result of dancing lights. I did notice the CMD24 seemed to lose it's heartbeat signal (via LED) intermittently. So could it be a bad controller even though it works well alone?

More likely a marginally bad Cat5 cable or bad jack on the board.  I'd first try a different cable and use the jack and repeat the same tests.

When you say reset, did you go into the HU and delete the standalone program installed on the controller?  I use this function all the time in the off months.  Make sure to power down the controller after tell it to delete the standalone program, then power it back up.

• The topic was locked