Light-O-Rama Forums

DC-MP3 Director Card and Invalid SD Card?

bensontrent

I just got a new MP3 Director Card yesterday. I updated the firmware (Version 3-2). But every time I insert the supplied SD Card the red "E" LED light flashes fast, and the hardware utility stops recognizing the DC-MP3. The manual indicates this may be due to a invalid SD Card.

I'm using the card supplied in the DC-MP3 package--it's a Kodak 256mb SD Card. I've tried other SD cards with the same results--but I haven't tried cards the manual recommends.

The manual recommends Lexar or SimpleTech 128 MB Cards.

Did I get slipped the wrong SD card in the package or is there something I'm doing wrong?

I'm unable to load shows onto it since the hardware utility will not recognize the DC-MP3 as soon as I put in the SD Card. So no; there are no show on the card. I tried formatting the card to Fat and Fat32 with no success. But is that my problem? Are you supposed to load shows onto the card and then place them in the DC-MP3?

Well, that helps immensely. It's a newb's problem. I was able to add a show to the sd card when directly attached to my computer. Works now. The world is NOT coming to an end.

What software version are you using? Have you upgraded to the 2.0.16 version? 2.0.14 expired on June 30. Don't know if that would cause the problem.

As you discovered, the card has to have a show on it for the DC-MP3 to work. If the DC-MP3 does not see a show on the card it could be because the SD card is not readable so it flashes the BAD SD CARD...

Now for everyones information, it was mentioned that the Hardware Utility did not recognize the DC-MP3 when the SD card was in it. That is a good observation and something I would like to elaborate on.

When the SD card is not inserted in the DC-MP3 it goes into listen mode and listens for the Hardware Utility. You will see that like other LOR controllers the red led on the DC-MP3 will stop blinking and go solid on when it detects the Hardware utility.

When the card is inserted into the DC-MP3 it goes into Master Mode. The DC-MP3 becomes the master and is not longer looking for the Hardware Utility thus the Hardware Utility no longer detects it.

IMPORTANT: When the SD is inserted and the DC-MP3 becomes master, you should NOT have the unit connected to a PC or any other master. It will not immediately destroy anything but you end up with two masters attempting to grab the line and the result will be that the lights are not controlled at all or appear random or totally messed up. This same warning applies to a Deluxe card that has a standalone sequence installed.