Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Cables

Denny

Can someone recommend a source for quality DMX cables to use with the iDMX 1000? There are a lot of sites out there that sell them, but I understand that some are not of the best quality. Is there a specific brand or specifications that I should look for in the cable?

I have had great luck with the accu cable brand from Center Stage. They are also among the cheapest available.

They usually have bundles of 5 and 10 cables on eBay priced super low. I don't see any right now, just wait about a week. I have also purchased auctions on eBay then asked them to include other cables in the order from their web site and they were happy to do so.

www.centerstagelighting.com

on eBay centerstagelighting

If you want the best - TMB Prpcable

if you want budget but still good TMB Dataplex

Just remember - most entertainment DMX cables are 5 pin

All my dmx fixtures are 3 pin. I use (gasp) microphone cable.

Centerstage is a good vendor. Another great vendor is entsyscorp.com. Both are highly regarded in the mobile DJ community.

• 1 year later...

Microphone cable is designed to carry analog audio information. DMX cable is designed to carry digital information. DMX cable is usually shielded with braided shielding. The mic cable is designed to carry a higher signal. DMX carries a smaller signal that needs to be more accurate. That is why the better shielding and why cat 5 with adapters work well for this purpose. Mic cable is designed for 75 ohm. DMX cable is 120 ohm.

In my DJ rig, all my dmx fixtures are run with mic cable. This is doing it on the cheap. I have not had a problem. I don't even use a terminator. Is this the best or most correct way? No. DMX cable is specifically designed for DMX application. In fact I am looking to upgrade my light gear and will probably make the switch to DMX cable. I will probably just buy a roll of DMX and custom make my cables.

iresq wrote:

Microphone cable is designed to carry analog audio information. DMX cable is designed to carry digital information. DMX cable is usually shielded with braided shielding. The mic cable is designed to carry a higher signal. DMX carries a smaller signal that needs to be more accurate. That is why the better shielding and why cat 5 with adapters work well for this purpose. Mic cable is designed for 75 ohm. DMX cable is 120 ohm.

In my DJ rig, all my dmx fixtures are run with mic cable. This is doing it on the cheap. I have not had a problem. I don't even use a terminator. Is this the best or most correct way? No. DMX cable is specifically designed for DMX application. In fact I am looking to upgrade my light gear and will probably make the switch to DMX cable. I will probably just buy a roll of DMX and custom make my cables.

Ok, well since I am having trouble with my intimidator, I think it might be the cable. I'm going to order a DMX cable.

Austen wrote:

Ok, well since I am having trouble with my intimidator, I think it might be the cable. I'm going to order a DMX cable.

If you have a Guitar Center nearby, they have a excellent return policy. Also, some Best Buys might have cable as they have started carrying pro audio stuff. Either will be more expensive the online but quicker to see if that is the problem.

• 1 month later...

This brings up another question, I have DMX units that have both XLR and RJ 45 connections, which connectors would be better to use? Will standard ethernet cables (CAT 5) work with dmx units with RJ45 connectors?

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked