Light-O-Rama Forums

ELL issues

oilmoney

This is my first year using them. I am trying to transmit across the street , 50ft. For some reason the ELL's don't power up when connected to my RJ-485 adapter directly to my pc, they do however show power when connected to a PC-G3 controller. As my PC will not supply power to the ELL I cannot update the firmware to rule that out, current version is 2.11, will it work with S4?  I was planning on just running them on their own network directly from my PC but that no longer seems the case. The HU sees the ELL when I refresh the network but it doesn't see the controller across the street. I currently have the ELL daisy chained the end of my network. A couple of things, my network is 500k, is running the ELL at 57k at the end of network doable or am I wasting my time? Also the HU detects my last controller in the network but I can not turn on any channels on said controller. Next step would be to create another network at 57k to one controller and hope that works? I know I'm probably tripped up by something simple and it's driving me nuts!

19 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

The ELLs need a controller for power, if you don't want a controller then you would need the USB485 with booster to supply power.

http://store.lightorama.com/uscoadwivobo.html

So is it not possible to update firmware without it?

An entire LOR network runs at the same speed.  The ELL can only run up to 115K speed.  And as Mr. P said, the ELL needs power.  If you can build custom cables, you can power an ELL if you know what you're doing.

My suggestion would be to get the booster version of the USB adapter and run it on a second network for the ELL link across the street.

Firmware update is not likely your problem.  For a test, you could take one of your controllers inside and hook it up to your existing USB adapter and then to the ELL.  The controller will power the ELL.  Change that network to 56K and run your test to the controller across the street.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

An entire LOR network runs at the same speed.  The ELL can only run up to 115K speed.  And as Mr. P said, the ELL needs power.  If you can build custom cables, you can power an ELL if you know what you're doing.

My suggestion would be to get the booster version of the USB adapter and run it on a second network for the ELL link across the street.

Firmware update is not likely your problem.  For a test, you could take one of your controllers inside and hook it up to your existing USB adapter and then to the ELL.  The controller will power the ELL.  Change that network to 56K and run your test to the controller across the street.

I did as you said, created a new network at 57k, ran it to one controller indoors, hooked up another ELL, changed out the ELL across the street, changed the settings to 57k and even changed the RF freq to 00 on 2 ELL's and still nothing,  light one in the ELL is steady and flashes once every second, light two flashes dimly so I know it's seeing the HU. The HU sees the controller, it sees that there's an ELL somewhere as the box in the bottom of the HU is showing signal. The two ELL's have an unobstructed view of each other, the one in my house 10ft off the ground in my window, the other approx 6ft up.

I'm assuming I don't have to assign any ID's for these, I can't find any boxes to check, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Almost ready to call it quits for today.

When configuring the ELLs you must only have one transceiver hooked up at a time. Open the HU and select the LOR RF tab then select "get current configuration". After you made your changes to that transceiver disconnect it and connect the second and do the same thing. You can also update them there.

Edited by Mr. P

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

When configuring the ELLs you must only have one transceiver hooked up at a time. Open the HU and select the LOR RF tab then select "get current configuration". After you made your changes to that transceiver disconnect it and connect the second and do the same thing. You can also update them there.

Did that, hooked one up, changed it. Hooked a second one up, ditto, and tried those two with no luck. Tomorrow I'll try swapping out the controller across the street. Thanks for all your help btw!

Edited by oilmoney

Same frequency, same network speed, Line of sight....... Both are getting power? Mine failed to power up on the RS485 to computer had to power from another source. You went back and checked that both units took changes?