Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel Stuck On

coachrizner

I am running 80 channels. Everything is working fine EXCEPT Channel 1 of Box three is always on. It doesn’t seem to be 100 percent on. Maybe 50 or 70. Anyone have and idea how of how to fix it? Thanks!

9 minutes ago, coachrizner said:

I am running 80 channels. Everything is working fine EXCEPT Channel 1 of Box three is always on. It doesn’t seem to be 100 percent on. Maybe 50 or 70. Anyone have and idea how of how to fix it? Thanks!

If you are talking a CTB16 then you probably have a bad Triac.

Yes  a bad triac! I have had 4 over the years short on my controllers. a BTA16 snubberless triac. I keep around 10 on hand. I go through Digi-Key#497-3122-5-ND. around $1.44 each  if you buy 10.  

Marty

Where do you buy them? Any instructions anywhere on how to replace them? 

I know you can also send it back to LOR to fix too. But I don't have that time right now....

EDIT: Found Youtube: 

Edited by keith5885

• 1 year later...

Due to "life happening," I haven't been keeping up with my Christmas display much until this year.  I had this issue hit today.  I have an older LOR 1602 30 amp controller (I believe I got it in 2008) that channel one is stuck on 50-70%.  I unplugged it and rebooted the computer, but it still stuck on so I'm guessing I have a bad triac.

My questions: I'm just an English teacher with no soldering skills.  Would it be worth it to try and learn on a delicate machine like this?  

Should I suck it up and send it in for repairs?  

Is it worth it to repair an older machine? (admin: how much does it cost to send it in for repairs?)

Is it going to make it worse running the show with that strand on lights on?

Thanks.  I didn't want to start a new thread since this I believe this answered my question.

10 minutes ago, BamaFlum said:

My questions: I'm just an English teacher with no soldering skills.  

Is there an Electronics teacher at your school?

11 minutes ago, BamaFlum said:

Is it going to make it worse running the show with that strand on lights on?

No, not going to make it worse.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

Is there an Electronics teacher at your school?

No, not going to make it worse.

That's good.  It's annoying to have a strand half lit but I'm not going to sweat it until after Christmas.  I have a friend with some soldering skills but I think this may be above his "pay grade." 😉

$25 for LOR to fix. + postage.

If you do want to try it yourself, open a help ticket and describe the issue. Then tell them you want to try to repair yourself and they will probably send you a few triacs.

10 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

$25 for LOR to fix. + postage.

If you do want to try it yourself, open a help ticket and describe the issue. Then tell them you want to try to repair yourself and they will probably send you a few triacs.

Thanks.  I put in a help desk ticket.  $25 dollars isn't too bad but the controller is heavy so postage may deter me from trying that route.  I was thinking about buying a new controller anyway.  

I have a few controllers with a few bad channels. I just list them as blown triac on channel config and se files so I don’t forget and try to use them. Yep, has to be more than 2 channels before I spend shipping. Did have 1 with a bad transformer too. LOR had that sucker repaired and back to me quickly. Amazing company. 

Doh!  I just realized I can swap the FM sign to the blown triac and the FM sign channel to the green strand!  Shouldn't take long.

I'll order a new controller during the spring sale so I can have a back up.

2 hours ago, BamaFlum said:

Doh!  I just realized I can swap the FM sign to the blown triac and the FM sign channel to the green strand!  Shouldn't take long.

I'll order a new controller during the spring sale so I can have a back up.

Awesome plan. & if the channel goes all the way out, put a three way adapter where you plug in the controller and plug the sign in before it even gets to the controller. 

Hi it looks like I have the same problem. a few of my channels are stuck about 50% on. I had a spare controller so I was able to swap it out.

I zero experience at soldering so not sure if I want to even try.

Is it $25 for each triac ? I think I have 8 gone on the controller so spending $200 to repair a $185 controller doesn't make sense. 

8 hours ago, PaulXmas said:

Hi it looks like I have the same problem. a few of my channels are stuck about 50% on. I had a spare controller so I was able to swap it out.

Is it $25 for each triac ? I think I have 8 gone on the controller so spending $200 to repair a $185 controller doesn't make sense. 

Typically $25 total. plus shipping. Open a help desk ticket to be sure. They will walk you thru their easy repair/return process.

10 hours ago, PaulXmas said:

You may have a way more expensive problem: CUSTOMS. Talk to the service desk about Across the border repairs. You might end up at a Local electronics shop. The parts are not exotic and they are in a COMMON as dirt package type: TO-220

That many blown? You have a weird Hydro feed?

Folks, re-read the thread.

They said it was $25 (in their case) for LOR to *fix* plus postage. That wasn't to have triacs shipped to them, it was for them to ship the controller to LOR and have them fix it. I have no idea what it would cost for LOR to send you a triac, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be $25. (And I could be wrong, but I don't think so.)

• The topic was locked