Light-O-Rama Forums

CBB2D heatsinks

TheDucks

Has anyone put heatsinks on their CMB24D?  I have looked at a lot of TO-220 heatsinks (at Jameco), they all seem to be just a bit too wide (they might touch the next HS).

I am needing to run 100 nodes of HC bullets per RGB channel. load is 6A

IIRC 1 color draws more, I might be able to just heatsink the biggie.  Any advice?

TNX

I'm going to assume that it is these (the only dumb bullet nodes that HC has listed):

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Dumb-RGB-50-Node-String-With-Waterproof-Connectors-p/58-wp.htm

If that's the case, they are 2 1/4 amps per 50 node or about 4 1/2 per string of 100.  That would be for all the colors combined - not each color.  Therefore about 1 1/2 amps per color which is well within the 4A limit per channel without heat sinks.

With that said, there is a little trick for getting some additional heat sink on a TO-220 case when space is limited side by side.  Take a 1 inch machine screw and a handful of nuts and a couple washers.  Start by putting a washer that is a little under 1/2 inch in diameter onto a machine screw and using a nut, secure the washer right up against the head of the screw (round or pan head works best for this).  Then thread a nut a little more than half way onto the screw and then insert the screw through the hole on the TO-220 heat sink.  Secure the screw in place with another nut.  Next is to thread another nut about a quarter inch onto the screw and then a washer and last another nut.  Adjust the last two nuts so that the washer is as far out towards the end of the screw and still secure it in place with the nut on the very end.  It's a bit kludgy, but it does work.  BTW, if you alternate how far the screw protrudes out the two sides from the TO-220, you can use a larger washer on each side.  If this description does not make sense, I'll post a photo.

30 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I'm going to assume that it is these (the only dumb bullet nodes that HC has listed):

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Dumb-RGB-50-Node-String-With-Waterproof-Connectors-p/58-wp.htm

If that's the case, they are 2 1/4 amps per 50 node or about 4 1/2 per string of 100.  That would be for all the colors combined - not each color.  Therefore about 1 1/2 amps per color which is well within the 4A limit per channel without heat sinks.

With that said, there is a little trick for getting some additional heat sink on a TO-220 case when space is limited side by side.  Take a 1 inch machine screw and a handful of nuts and a couple washers.  Start by putting a washer that is a little under 1/2 inch in diameter onto a machine screw and using a nut, secure the washer right up against the head of the screw (round or pan head works best for this).  Then thread a nut a little more than half way onto the screw and then insert the screw through the hole on the TO-220 heat sink.  Secure the screw in place with another nut.  Next is to thread another nut about a quarter inch onto the screw and then a washer and last another nut.  Adjust the last two nuts so that the washer is as far out towards the end of the screw and still secure it in place with the nut on the very end.  It's a bit kludgy, but it does work.  BTW, if you alternate how far the screw protrudes out the two sides from the TO-220, you can use a larger washer on each side.  If this description does not make sense, I'll post a photo.

Makes sense,  I could use a hex threaded standoff as it has about the same thermal contact area.and the washers are still limited by the nut contact

But you made a good point. Per channel is less than per string

BTW these were the  newer black wire w/connector strings. the values were on a flag label.

(the reason I now need this. I went to hang a 40' C9 LED string that I put away after a day DRYING, powered on, inside, last season. 1 section did tot come on and the other failed while I was looking it over. Leads rust off the LEDs, 1 socket came apart.  Grrr 5 Years. My old C9 incans lasted 25 years (and only a few bulbs

• The topic was locked