Light-O-Rama Forums

CCB 2 with 200 lights

Mulch Matt

New to CCB this year.  I want to keep it simple so I am using them for the outline if my house and around the windows.  I am just going to use SE for programing.  When I set up the RGB channels in SE, it will only let me do 512.  I have CCB 2 with 200 lights, = 600 channels.  What am I missing?  Does the controller have to have 2 unit IDs?  One for each port?  Help!!

Edited by Mulch Matt

1 hour ago, Mulch Matt said:

New to CCB this year.  I want to keep it simple so I am using them for the outline if my house and around the windows.  I am just going to use SE for programing.  When I set up the RGB channels in SE, it will only let me do 512.  I have CCB 2 with 200 lights, = 600 channels.  What am I missing?  Does the controller have to have 2 unit IDs?  One for each port?  Help!!

Never mind.  I figured it out

What did you figure out?  I need to know the answer to this problem too.  I thought I had to set them up as DMX, but run on an LOR network, but I can't get them working. 

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

What did you figure out?  I need to know the answer to this problem too.  I thought I had to set them up as DMX, but run on an LOR network, but I can't get them working. 

If you've assigned DMX addresses to channels, those can't be run on a LOR network.  They have to be run via E1:31, and the only LOR controller with that capability is the Pixcon16.

Edited by George Simmons

I guess I'm totally lost then.  I have the Pixie 2D.  There are 100 pixels (300 channels) on each port.  I don't understand how to set it up as an LOR device when it exceeds the maximum allowable channels.  I also don't understand if I have to run my show with a high speed RS485 adapter or if the regular or min-director would work.  I just received my lights on Thursday and was hoping to run them for a Halloween light show tonight, but the learning curve is looking too steep for this CCB newbie!

It exceeds the number of channels in a single DMX Universe, but that has nothing to do with how many channels you can run on a single LOR network.  The Pixie2 is designed for LOR networks and will run your pixels just fine.  A high speed USB adapter is recommended, but using a regular speed network is totally doable if that's all you have on the network.

I understand that this is a CCB with two strings of 100 bulbs. Since CCB's can only be set up with 50 pixels per string can you set them up as a Pixie2 as that will let you use 100 pixels?

Each string would have its own ID.

Edited by Mr. P

2 hours ago, Michelle said:

I guess I'm totally lost then.  I have the Pixie 2D.  There are 100 pixels (300 channels) on each port.  I don't understand how to set it up as an LOR device when it exceeds the maximum allowable channels.  I also don't understand if I have to run my show with a high speed RS485 adapter or if the regular or min-director would work.  I just received my lights on Thursday and was hoping to run them for a Halloween light show tonight, but the learning curve is looking too steep for this CCB newbie!

On an open sequence right click on the very last channel (bottom) and click "Insert Device Below" fill in the info for a Pixie2 and then selct a starting ID. The software will automatically assign the second ID for the second string.

Yes, it is a CCB with 2 strings of 100 bulbs each.  I now have each string set with a different LOR ID.  I set up my CCBs in visualizer and then imported them into PE for sequencing.  I've followed all the tutorial steps and saved intensity data.  Everything appears to be set up correctly.  I just can't get it to work.  I have updated the firmware on all of my controllers allowing them all to run on and enhanced 500k network.  However, I only have the regular RS485 adapter.  I'm also running 2 CMDB24s, 3 CTB16PC3g controllers, and one cosmic flood.  Do you think it's a network speed issue?  All controllers work except for the Pixie 2Ds (of which I have 2).  They work when tested through the HU.

Yes, it's sounding like a network issue.  You need a high speed USB adapter to run a 500K enhanced network.  I believe you also need an enhanced network to run intensity files.  But regardless, you have way too many channels for anything but a high-speed network.

Im still waiting on my CCB 2 controller and pixels to be shippined..........I ordered them in August

Doesnt look like they will make the display this year

I also have CCB's with 200 lights, is it better to sequence directly in SE or is it better to sequence in PE??

I am doing a roof outline around my house.

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:06 PM, George Simmons said:

It exceeds the number of channels in a single DMX Universe, but that has nothing to do with how many channels you can run on a single LOR network

George do you know how many channels you can use on a LOR network running a 485HS adaptor?

I will be running approx. 800 CCB's for my roof outline and was planning on using 4 - 485HS adaptors, is this overkill??

Thanks

David

Overkill?  Yes.

Bad idea?  Not entirely.

800 CCBs equals 2400 channels.  You should be able to run that many on one High Speed network.  But you might also see some lag depending on what type of effects you sequence.  Color morphs come to mind based on personal experience.

I'm not a big fan of unnecessarily encountering Murphy when it's cold and inconvenient, so I tend to overbuild/over-engineer most things having to do with light displays.  If it was me, I'd run 2 HS networks just to make sure there won't be any issues regardless of what effects are sequenced.

16 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Overkill?  Yes.

Bad idea?  Not entirely.

800 CCBs equals 2400 channels.  You should be able to run that many on one High Speed network.  But you might also see some lag depending on what type of effects you sequence.  Color morphs come to mind based on personal experience.

I'm not a big fan of unnecessarily encountering Murphy when it's cold and inconvenient, so I tend to overbuild/over-engineer most things having to do with light displays.  If it was me, I'd run 2 HS networks just to make sure there won't be any issues regardless of what effects are sequenced.

Thank You for the advice George, I will use 2 HS Networks.

I will be keeping it simple this year as this is my first year doing smart pxels/bulbs.

Should I sequence them in SE or PE?, I want to do it right the first time although it seems you can use either?

Thanks

David

4 hours ago, Wilsanco said:

Should I sequence them in SE or PE?, I want to do it right the first time although it seems you can use either?

Yes, you can use either.  There's no right or wrong, just your preference.

If you're planning on keeping things simple, meaning just changing colors and/or running chases, I recommend you stick with the SE. 

Given the time of year, it might be smart to wait until after the lighting season finishes before you start farting around with the PE.

11 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Yes, you can use either.  There's no right or wrong, just your preference.

If you're planning on keeping things simple, meaning just changing colors and/or running chases, I recommend you stick with the SE. 

Given the time of year, it might be smart to wait until after the lighting season finishes before you start farting around with the PE.

Thanks for the great advice, I think you're right.

We will soon be putting up our lights, so keeping to SE, which I have some knowledge of, would be prudent.

I will try PE in the new year to get a handle on it for next Christmas.

Regards

David

• The topic was locked