Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16D Assigning ID

Randy Martin

Question

I have another network already with 8 Ac controllers on it Unit ID #1 to 8

Now I have created a new network LOR HS for the Pixie 16D  Do I start with Unit 1 or do I start with an ID over the 8 ac controllers on the other network?

If over the other 8 controllers is there any harm in leaving room for more and assigning unit number 20 

Start with a ID hiigher then 8 and keep in mind that even tho you only assign one unit ID to the Pixie16 it will use 16 consecutive ID's.

There is nothing wrong with leaving room for expansion. I just typed the exact same reply yesterday with another members question.

As Mr P stated above, the computer will automatically assign the unit ID's. Do not attempt to assign your own unit iD's or you will experience headaches. Just leave them as assigned and if you use vis assign them the exact same way.

The pixie is easy once you understand the unit ID setup.

JR

So I assign the first I'D (20) and the software assigns the rest.

We're would I find what the IDs are?

4 hours ago, Randy Martin said:

Question

I have another network already with 8 Ac controllers on it Unit ID #1 to 8

Now I have created a new network LOR HS for the Pixie 16D  Do I start with Unit 1 or do I start with an ID over the 8 ac controllers on the other network?

If over the other 8 controllers is there any harm in leaving room for more and assigning unit number 20 

You state that you are using a separate LOR network for the Pixie controller.  Therefore, there is no REQUIREMENT to use separate Unit IDs from the controller IDs on the other network.  However, with that said, I highly recommend that you do use a separate number range for your second network.  The reason is that it is less confusing to us human beings.  The computer / hardware has no issues with two different controllers that have the same Unit ID on two different LOR networks (example: Regular Network Unit ID 01 and AuxA network Unit ID 01).  It will also simplify your life if you need to re-arrange networks somewhere down the road (I've needed to do that twice)

In my case, my Regular network is allocated Unit IDs 01 - 0F, my Aux A network is allocated Unit IDs 11 - 1F, and my AuxB network is allocated Unit IDs 21 - 2F.  None of those networks have anywhere near the 15 IDs allocated (in fact the Regular network only has one InputPup on it).

Just now, Randy Martin said:

So I assign the first I'D (20) and the software assigns the rest.

We're would I find what the IDs are?

It will be 16 sequential Unit IDs.  Remember that it counts in Hexadecimal, so if your start ID was 20, the other 15 would be: 21, 22, 23,24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F.

• The topic was locked