Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Lights - LOR vs. Others, Any Difference?

jroot

Wondering there is a big difference in adding RGB to a current standard LOR lightshow when comparing RGB lights from LOR versus RGB lights from another supplier? Meaning, is it inherently easier to add the RGB controllers from LOR versus a new and possibly less compatible controller from HolidayCoro? I know HolidayCoro is compatible, just not sure if it's a hassle to add-on. If it's the same effort to add RGB regardless of where is comes from, I may need to buy at least some of my lighting from faster shippers. I'd prefer to stick with LOR but their shipping delays make it hard for me to plan.

RGB lights from LOR are more "plug-n-play" then ones from other vendors. With LOR you assign a unit ID and they start playing on the LOR network. RGB lights from other vendors such as HC are usually used on the E1.31 network as they are not as compatible and have more programming involved such as networking and IP addresses.

There are pros and cons to each: LOR units come built, programmed, work directly on their network but usually cost a little more. Other vendors you have to build yourself, program, use on E.31 but cost a little less.

LOR does offer build your own kits which will save you some money as well.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to Buy LOR pixels for exactly the reasons Mr. P mentioned (easy button) after looking around at the build up and configuration of other options. I also really liked the idea of having a finished and weatherproof product that was warrantied by a vendor. I live in Canada so they are going to experience a lot of snow and extreme temperatures so the warranty and build quality are important to me. One other thing to consider if you are building your own you can customize lengths of CCRs to fit your application where the LOR ones are a standard length, because of this I choose to go with Pixel bulbs rather than CCRs to outline my house. I didn't want to introduce additional complexity in my first year using pixels.I may rethink this next year when I have time to research either building my own CCRs or the impact of cutting LOR CCRs to fit my application.

Have been using RGB's from Ray Wu for two years now. They work fine. Using LOR CMB24's to control them. They are a little more fragile than I thought they would be. Have gotten a few shattered LEDs due to rough treatment by employees.

Adding to my earlier post I just received the CCB II's yesterday and they were completely Plug an Play. After unboxing I plugged in the network cable opened the hardware utility found the controller and could light them up. After this I switched the dip switches to map to the channel, played my sequence & nothing.... I thought about this for a min Checked my network settings, change it to enhanced and the sequence worked. Adding the LOR RGBs couldn't be easier and in my mind is well worth any extra cost.

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.  No question that the LOR RGB is far more plug and play, and the support from LOR if there is a problem is second to no one!  But you pay for that.  I have LOR CCPs in my arches and they just work - perfectly every year.  I have both dumb and smart strips and strings from Ray Wu in China and have had very few problems with his products, but I understand that I'm pretty much on my own for a problem.  I can accept that for it being less expensive.  I have also bought two purchases of GE Color Effect bulbs from two different forum members that totaled about 800 bulbs (402 in service this year - more planned), and I bought 2,000 pixels from another forum member that had bought them for a project and then changed directions.  I will be using them next year.

Now with all that said, if I were to win the lottery, I would be buying everything from LOR.  I think that highly of the company and their products and service.  However I haven't won the lottery, so I buy a bunch of stuff from Ray Wu.  However with LOR's 2nd generation lights, the costs have dropped quite a bit and it may be far more viable.

• 11 months later...

Adding on to my earlier posts. The warranty and service is excellent. Last year I had 1 RGB go bad, I put in a warranty claim and a couple of days later they shipped me a new string. I wrote more details about this on my blog so will not repeat here, you can read about it if you like: 

https://chasinrudolph.ca/2018/08/29/the-2018-light-o-rama-order-is-in/

• The topic was locked