Light-O-Rama Forums

Can the Cat5 data cable be near extension cords?

Speedster

For better cable/cord management at the bottom of our front porch steps, I plan on having about 16 - 20 extension cords going through about a 3-foot section of a large PVC pipe.  I would also like to put one of the data cables through the same PVC pipe.  But will having the data cable running alongside so many extension cords cause problems, like maybe one or more light controllers won't work properly, or won't work at all?  

1 hour ago, Speedster said:

For better cable/cord management at the bottom of our front porch steps, I plan on having about 16 - 20 extension cords going through about a 3-foot section of a large PVC pipe.  I would also like to put one of the data cables through the same PVC pipe.  But will having the data cable running alongside so many extension cords cause problems, like maybe one or more light controllers won't work properly, or won't work at all?  

put a piece of (grounded) EMT in there. An RJ45 will go through 3/4. 2 pieces of CAT6 will fit in 1/2 if you don't have the plugs on

9 hours ago, TheDucks said:

put a piece of (grounded) EMT in there. An RJ45 will go through 3/4. 2 pieces of CAT6 will fit in 1/2 if you don't have the plugs on

Thanks, I'll pick up the EMT and the parts for grounding it at Home Depot this week!

• The topic was locked