Light-O-Rama Forums

pixcon 16 & e682 on same network, what do i need to set this up?

alchrisr01

I am glad that we all learned something.:)  Maybe I missed it or maybe the instructions need to be updated to include that a router or switch must be between the PC and the Pixcon.  Now I need to figure out how to sequence these lumi-cans that I built!  I ran a test just using pixel tree sequences and they look pretty good.  There are 77 of them in total, 4 universes just to make programing easier, I hope.  I linked a test of the first 12 completed and a diagram of the setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLprM3KeaJ4

lumi cans_0001.pdf

Two things here.

I'm not sure what is going on Charles Jones's case.  I regularly run the PixCon16 on 192.168.1.x (which is as different as 192.168.2.x is in the networking world) with a DHCP server and it works fine.  As soon as I get the time, I will set up my DHCP server to give out addresses in 192.168.2.x and see if there is still a problem.  I suspect that there is something wrong with Charle's configuration (or possibly the DHCP server that runs on that router), and setting the 192.168.0 set of addresses masks that issue.

The instructions, at least the checklist, DOES say to use a router between the computer and the board, and that is the easiest way to configure the PixCon16.  HOWEVER you don't need a router or a DHCP server, or any network hardware more than a CAT5 cable.  All you need is a properly configured computer and understanding of how IP works.  When testing PixCon code, I run in multiple configurations - including connecting directly, routed over separate LANs, a segmented LAN, and via a circa 1992 10 Base T HUB.  

As I have said time and time again, IP networking can be complex and does require some in-depth knowledge.  

Hi Mike and thanks for your input in this.  You guys are the greatest.  I am no where near an expert in networking but I am pretty sure I had the adapter settings correct during initial testing and the only way I finally got into the config was to use a router.  I tend to blast trough instructions as I am an old man, after all.:)  Not being any sort of expert, this is what i read from the manual:

from page 7:

Should you need to reconfigure the board, or reload the firmware in emergency mode, the easiest way may be to connect the board directly to a computer’s network card via a CAT-5 cable. 1.Ensure no wireless network is active on the computer.   2.Shut down the computer and disconnect any existing network cable .  3.Power off thePixCon16.  4.Plug a CAT-5 cable directly from the adapter to the computer’s network card. A crossover cable is not required, any standard CAT-5cable will work.  5.Power up the board. Ensure the board is running correctly, or has been placed in the bootloader mode.  6.Turn on the computer and wait for it to fully boot.  7 Now start the LOR Network Configuration program and press the PixCon16 button. You should be able to find the board now to configure it, or to re-install the firmware.

from page 15:

Typically the controller is connected to a network of computers/controllers/etc. either though a switch or router. You can however directly connect the Ethernet port of the PixCon16 to a computer network card. This can be useful if for some reason your network configuration has changed, or you are having some other issue with configuration. Be sure to turn off any other network connections, including
wireless connections, and then re-boot the computer.

You are very correct that the "intro to DMX..." doc does in fact state in bold letters on page 7, "Before you start..Get a separate router".  I didn't interpret that to mean I needed a router since I read the above instructions and nothing else was connected to my laptop.  Rookie mistake on my part, but you can see why there was confusion.
Thanks for your patience and assistance.  I can send screen shots of my settings if it would help you figure this out as it seems I am not alone.

Chris

Edited by alchrisr01
correction

• The topic was locked