Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 Smart Pixel Controller

Morales Home

The wife told me last night that she didn't like our C9 LEDs that were on the perimeter of the house last year. She told me I should just get the "nicer looking" color changing bulbs ( RGB).  I immediately jumped for joy as is expected!!! I now have to figure this out before the summer sale is over. 

I plan on using the CCB strings to line the perimeter of my roof. The question is POWER. LOR Website says Pixie16 Smart Pixel Controller can handle 16 strings of 100 pixels. Saying I connect 16 strings of 100 CCBs, will 1 light o rama power supply connected to each side of the board (2 total) be enough to power all strings?

Only experience I have with RGB is a set of 8 floods on a CMB24D. Not much power needed for those. 

Thanks

A little tip; smart pixels are finicky when it comes to distance and they don't react very well. I would definitely recommend a 16 port controller in a situation where the lights would be close together keeping the runs at a limited distance such as a tree or matrix. However, when decorating a roofline and things like that we are talking much longer runs and you would be better off with a couple smaller controllers so you could spread them around and limit the distance and length of lights.

11 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

A little tip; smart pixels are finicky when it comes to distance and they don't react very well. I would definitely recommend a 16 port controller in a situation where the lights would be close together keeping the runs at a limited distance such as a tree or matrix. However, when decorating a roofline and things like that we are talking much longer runs and you would be better off with a couple smaller controllers so you could spread them around and limit the distance and length of lights.

That makes alot of sense. I'll look into the other smaller controllers. Thanks for the advice

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

If you would like to stick with LOR I would recommend the Pixie series of controllers.

http://store.lightorama.com/pico.html

I was looking at the Pixie 4/6 and I don't see any power terminals. Will I have to connect the string directly to the power supplies or am I just not seeing it on the actual board?

1 minute ago, Morales Home said:

I was looking at the Pixie 4/6 and I don't see any power terminals. Will I have to connect the string directly to the power supplies or am I just not seeing it on the actual board?

In the picture of the Pixie4 the power terminal, V+, V- are on the left. The green blocks for the lights are on the right.

2 minutes ago, Morales Home said:

On the Pixie 4 the power is on the left side just above the fuse.

On the Pixie 8, the terminals are along the left edge of the photo.

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

On the Pixie 4 the power is on the left side just above the fuse.

On the Pixie 8, the terminals are along the left edge of the photo.

Ok. I see now. Thank you so much. Looks like I'll be ordering a few Pixie 4 controllers. I love this forum. Good place for rookies like myself

Just now, Morales Home said:

Ok. I see now. Thank you so much. Looks like I'll be ordering a few Pixie 4 controllers. I love this forum. Good place for rookies like myself

Keep in mind that each Pixie4 will use four consecutive Unit IDs so make sure your license level can handle them

3 minutes ago, Morales Home said:

I love this forum. Good place for rookies like myself

Thank you and you're welcome.

We try!

The pixie series are easy to setup and get used to. Yes you will need to purchase power supplies based on your requirements. I have photos here some place while building my pixie 16's. If you find it that can be used for an example however you will not need the huge waterproof enclosures and should be able to get by with the standard cg1500's.

I had plenty of help from both Mr P and Jim above with the channel config. You wont have a problem since yours will be unit ID # and channels 1-4 each.

JR

12v is better for longer runs as it is more forgiving to voltage drop so you can use more pixels before power injecting.

General rule; 12v can handle 100 pixels per port before needing power injection, 5v is 50 pixels per port.

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

12v is better for longer runs as it is more forgiving to voltage drop so you can use more pixels before power injecting.

General rule; 12v can handle 100 pixels per port before needing power injection, 5v is 50 pixels per port.

Thank you

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Remember to add (automotive, blade style)  Inline fuse holders. The Pixie4 does not have any.

I'm guessing that goes between power outlet and the board?

Wall outlet --  inline fuse --  controller -- pixels?

3 minutes ago, Morales Home said:

Negative, power outlet to power supply to controller. The Pixie is a 5v or 12v controller, if you plug it into a wall outlet you will definitely release the magic smoke and that is very bad.

Edited by Mr. P

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Negative, power outlet to power supply to controller. The Pixie is a 5v or 12v controller, if you plug it into a wall outlet you will definitely release the magic smoke and that is very bad.

LMAO!!! Thanks for the heads up. I see it now. Forgot that you power the board with a power supply. Thanks again

On 8/24/2017 at 4:01 PM, Morales Home said:

No WAY :o

I would use a 4A fuse for the power terminal for each string connector +

conn+ - fuse- string  (power (red)

If yo look at the manual: Pixie 8D and 16D have fuses, but the 4 does not

17 hours ago, TheDucks said:

No WAY :o

I would use a 4A fuse for the power terminal for each string connector +

conn+ - fuse- string  (power (red)

If yo look at the manual: Pixie 8D and 16D have fuses, but the 4 does not

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated

• The topic was locked