Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Upgrade Help!

Protege94

I have an existing LOR AC show that has 64 channels. I am considering changing the lights that outline my roof/house to pixels and was wondering how hard it would be to integrate pixels for a small portion of my show this year?

I do have the advanced license of LOR S4 so i think I would have to upgrade that. But beyond that would it be pretty easy to sequence in the pixels to my existing AC shows? Also what would be the best way to add the pixels to the network? Build a DMX controller with pixels or buy the LOR Cosmic controller and pixel set?

Or would it be better to go with a pixie4/8/16 to allow myself expansion down the road? (Since the pre-built controller from LOR only controls 2 strings of 50)

Edited by Protege94

45 minutes ago, Protege94 said:

I have an existing LOR AC show that has 64 channels. I am considering changing the lights that outline my roof/house to pixels and was wondering how hard it would be to integrate pixels for a small portion of my show this year?

Adding pixels increases your channel count so yes, it can be harder to sequence simply because there are more channels to sequence.

46 minutes ago, Protege94 said:

I do have the advanced license of LOR S4 so i think I would have to upgrade that.

Only if you want or need to use Pixel Editor.  Especially for something pretty simple like a roofline, I would not consider PE a requirement.  You could certainly sequence it in Sequence Editor.

48 minutes ago, Protege94 said:

Also what would be the best way to add the pixels to the network? Build a DMX controller with pixels or buy the LOR Cosmic controller and pixel set?

Either will work.  It's mainly a matter of preference and cost.  Using LOR Cosmic Color devices is certainly the easiest as there is less to learn, but it costs more.  The other major option would be to go with E1.31 which you can also do on an Advanced license.  That requires a better understanding of networking.  For what it's worth, I have both E1.31 and Cosmic Color Pixels in my different parts of my show.

• The topic was locked