Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24

santa25

Hello good people, I have just made a stupid mistake and I connected my CMB24D to a 240v supply instead of the 12v, does this mean the board is now completely dead ? or can it be repaired ? thanks

1 hour ago, santa25 said:

Hello good people, I have just made a stupid mistake and I connected my CMB24D to a 240v supply instead of the 12v, does this mean the board is now completely dead ? or can it be repaired ? thanks

How about the main fuses? Did they blow? If so you may have lucked out.

JR

• Like 1

Oops!!!

Off hand, it's likely dead.  As JR suggested, you can try replacing the fuses, and it is possible that they protected the board, but I would not count on that.

As long as there is not major damage to the PC board, it is repairable, but may not be practical.  With that much over-voltage and reverse polarity, there could be a lot of devices blown.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Ouch!

Like others, I hold little hope that the fuses saved you. Solid state devices, capacitors are going to be stressed so far beyond any over design limits in an instant.

I assume, you got confused with the input configuration for the CTB16 (AC controller). which can run on 240V mains

16 minutes ago, santa25 said:

Yes the fuses survived ok but I dont think it will be worth sending in for repair

That's actually a bad thing.  If the fuses had blown fast enough, they MAY have protected the board (large emphasis on MAY).  That the fuses did not blow most likely means that something on the board burned up before the fuses could blow.

Sorry.

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I gotta know, was there a lot of smoke?  :huh:

Or a Bang?

Using 240V instead of 12V is brutal.  Along with the smell of electronic smoke I'm getting a secondary aroma of brain fart.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

14 minutes ago, santa25 said:

there was no smoke and no bang, red led flashed once and that was it.

WOW, if you were going to lose a $100 controller you should have at least got something out of it.  :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, santa25 said:

Yes the fuses survived ok but I dont think it will be worth sending in for repair

If the fuses survived the board did not!

JR

Let me add, the small individual circuits could have survived, in my original post I was speaking of the 2 large white fuses right next to the power terminals. If they are toast you have a chance

JR

19 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Let me add, the small individual circuits could have survived, in my original post I was speaking of the 2 large white fuses right next to the power terminals. If they are toast you have a chance

JR

yes the large fuses are fine so I guess it is dead for sure

Just now, santa25 said:

yes the large fuses are fine so I guess it is dead for sure

Yep. cheaper to buy new. Unfortunately. 

Just now, dibblejr said:

Yep. cheaper to buy new. Unfortunately. 

I got  3 spare ones so no problem there, just make sure i use the correct supply next time lol

• Like 1

• The topic was locked