Light-O-Rama Forums

dmx universe limits?

medman2000

Hoping for some clarification - right now an iDMX is limited to 256 channels (planned to support 512). If I have 2 of the iDMX units can I have 512 LOR controlled DMX channels (1024 after they are upgraded)?

I want to get some of the Color Kinetics LED RGB strings - 50 bulbs on a 15 foot string, with each bulb individually DMX controlled with 3 channels (RGB). So each string requires 150 DMX channels. I'm thinking of 10 strings for my roof line, but that would require 1500 DMX channels.

What is the current limit on DMX channels assuming I buy extra iDMX controls, and what is the planned 2008 max?

Thanks!

medman2000

If those are the same strands I am thinking of ;)

In order to control every node individually you would need anywhere from 4- 10 universes at 512 channels per iDMX

Right now - at a limit of 240 devices each iDMX uses the equivalent of 16 devices - giving you a limit of 15 ( I have not tried overlapping addresses on the iDMX and do not know if there would be any conflicts. Though I have assigned a 16PC controller in the same address block as the iDMX with no ill effects)

Chris

Fellow DMXer's,

I am using 3500 channels of DMX for my 2008 display in addition to the (15) 1602 controllers I have. I emailed Dan of LOR to ask him about this and here is his reply.

"Hi Charles, I am not certain if we will support 512 on the iDMX this year.... But we can support the channel count you are talking about.... Even if we could support all 512 on a single controller you would still only have 64 intelligent channels which could be an issue when you try to go with 512. With the existing LOR II code..... with the 4 network capability of LOR II you can have up to 60 iDMX interfaces. Each can handle 256 channels and each could be its own DMX universe so you could have 60 universes. To support 3500 DMX channels you would need 14 iDMX interfaces. It would be only 7 iDMX units if we moved up to supporting 512.
Dan"

medman

My current plan to reduce the number of additional devices that I will need to purchase is to use 1 power supply and 2 strands using only 85 of the 100 nodes. Thus I will be using 255 of the 256 available channels. Doing it this way I will only need to purchase one extra pair of stands and 1 power supply and one more iDMX

Although it isnt elegant - it is going to work for my application

Chris

Dr. Jones wrote:

medman

My current plan to reduce the number of additional devices that I will need to purchase is to use 1 power supply and 2 strands using only 85 of the 100 nodes. Thus I will be using 255 of the 256 available channels. Doing it this way I will only need to purchase one extra pair of stands and 1 power supply and one more iDMX

Chris

So I'm assuming you'd have some of the nodes doubled-up with the same address? To help spread out cost over time that might help out this year - maybe decrease the number of strands I buy, and just assign unique ID to every other node? Would that work?

I will only assign addresses to the nodes that are used. the last 15 will not get an address - this is possible with the iplayer. I will tyrap up the last 15 nodes until a time when the iDMX supports 512 channels

medman2000 wrote:

Dr. Jones wrote:
medman

Chris

So I'm assuming you'd have some of the nodes doubled-up with the same address? To help spread out cost over time that might help out this year - maybe decrease the number of strands I buy, and just assign unique ID to every other node? Would that work?
Unless you wanted the lights to chase around like a marquee, you could assign all the same colors on the same roof line to the same id address. That way you could buy enough strands to cover all of your roof lines, keep your dmx channels requirements down and still have a stunning look.

Charles

Charles Belcher wrote:

Unless you wanted the lights to chase around like a marquee, you could assign all the same colors on the same roof line to the same id address. That way you could buy enough strands to cover all of your roof lines, keep your dmx channels requirements down and still have a stunning look.

Charles

That definitely sounds like a nice way to ease into the technology. The look on my wife's face as I started to explain the concept was priceless (and it wasn't a good look!).

I'm on the lookout for a good deal on the strands sometime before this fall, hopefully ebay or a LOR/Planet-Christmas-Friendly reseller will come forward ;)

One benefit of individually addressing the strands, is the ability to randomly strobe a node.

I am going for the ability to do scrolling fades and transitions ( this is what sold my wife) plus the strobe ability

for me it is " go big or go home" :D

and to everyone else don't "keep up with the Jonses" ;)

Hey guys, I read the other part of this over on PC. Can someone clarify this point. Exactly WHAT Color Kinetics hardware do you need to use those stands within a LOR iDMX universe? It was not clear to me, if their power supplies were required.

This is a cool idea, but I have NO budget left to squeeze this in. I would require probably 20 strings at least to put them on the ridges of my roof, which is where these would go. Maybe next year, if I can find a deal like what is on Ebay now. Not to mention the additional iDMX's needed to create the universes.

Not to mention that this year would be even MORE impractical given that LOR is not going to be able to fully support the DMX512 standard till next year.

Yes you would need the power supply

each PS (PDS-60ca DMX 7.5v) supports 2 strands

The cheapest I have found the PS is at Mainstage Theatrical (mainstage.com) at $136

Each CK strand retails at about $600 - the Ebay deal is significant

Chris

Thanks Dr. J, but like I said not this year, and maybe not next too at those prices with all the hardware needed, there are other options.

• The topic was locked