Light-O-Rama Forums

Unit ID Question

nmonkman

My new CTB16PC controllers do not have the unit id switches. All my other controllers do and they are 01 through 09.

I tried to assign a unit id of 10 and it would not take it. I was forced to assign a unit id of OA through OF.

WIll the LOR II software recognize it as Unit 10 or do I have to reconfigure all my channels in the sequence editor?

If the latter, is it simply OA-01, OA-02, etc?

thanks,

Neil M

Neil,

I guess first, are you getting a blinking then solid light when the Hardware Editor comes up?

How did you attempt to do the change? This has to be done in the Hardware Editor, and LORI or II allows for a controller ID of 10. In the Hardware Editor, the Set New Unit ID to 10 and then push the button. Otherwise try Change Existing ID, and for the Old Unit ID, set it to ANY, then the New Unit ID to 10.

I think the first thing you need to check is if it is even seen by the Hardware Editor.

Try this first. For your latter issue, you are correct.

Neil,

There was a discusssion some time ago about the addressing. The addressing is programmed in HEXDECIMAL (base 16). OA is 10, OB=11, OC=12, OD=13, OE=14, and OF=15. The previous discussion mentioned the confusion on the mix of decimal and hexdecimal as I recall.

When you set it to 10, you are actually setting it to a decimal value of 16

I hope this helps.

If you notice the dials on your other boards they are labeled from 0-F.

Chuck

Chuck, so now I am confused. I have a CTB16PC controller that is set to a value of 10. All my sequences are programmed 10-1, 10-2 etc.... LORI was used last year

What I don't have is a controller ID of 16. I will this year though and be using LORII, and the hardware editor has this as a value.

Did I mis-understand the original question, or am I mis-informed on the assigning of ID values.

zman:

I set it per the instructions. Ran the CAT5 cable from existing unit 01 and plugged it into the new unit. Did not daisy chain to any other controller.

Then did as you said below, but would not allow "10" to be entered.

[line]

cmoore:

If OA = 10 then I am assuming by what you wrote below that I need do nothing with my sequences. Channels that are configured for 10-01, 10-02, etc will work as OA-01, OA-02, etc.

Right?

You kinda lost me with the "hexidecimal" stuff:D

nmonkman wrote:

zman:

I set it per the instructions. Ran the CAT5 cable from existing unit 01 and plugged it into the new unit. Did not daisy chain to any other controller.

Then did as you said below, but would not allow "10" to be entered.

You kinda lost me with the "hexidecimal" stuff:D

I believe, and will be corrected if wrong, that when setting the initial ID, only use that controller. You are not supposed to daisy any other controllers during activation.

I also don't think you need to worry about the hexi stuff. Just give it a number and be done.

nmonkman wrote:

zman:

When assigning the inital ID, connect only the controller to be changed. Run the cat 5 to the new unit only, not through or with any other controller.

The hexadecimal confusion comes when you use the "Max Units" field in the hardware wizard to find controllers.

If you have set a controller to unit "10", then set "Max Units" to 10 and click "Refresh", it won't find the new unit "10". You may then get confused, thinking that the controller didn't get its ID set correctly.

If you have a unit set to ID 10, then you must set "Max Units" in the hardware wizard to at least 16 in order to find that controller.

Here's a quick table to find the "Max Units" number from the greatest unit ID you have assigned:

01 1
02 2
03 3
04 4
05 5
06 6
07 7
08 8
09 9
0A 10
0B 11
0C 12
0D 13
0E 14
0F 15
10 16
11 17
12 18
13 19
14 20
20 32
21 33
90 144
A0 160
B0 176
C0 192
D0 208
E0 224
F0 240

...etc. No one has that many controllers!

Steven,

Thanks! that is the exact situation that surfaced before. I knew there was a relationship from HEX to decimal. I am on travel and do not have a fully functioning LOR software package with me to investigate completely.

Chuck

iresq wrote:

Steven wrote:

Now that is funny :shock::P:D

Someone will get there soon, there are displays with over a thousand channels, some of the commercial ones :shock: I could not imagine the sequencing headache. Heck, 240 was tought last year. Could you imagine managing 3840 channels? I wonder if anyone at LOR has actually tested the throughput on something like that to see if it is even possible.

OK, now I understand why 10 was not showing up as an available unit id. I had it set to 12 units max.

So now all I have to do is select the proper amount of maximum units to allow "10" to be an available id.

Neil

• 1 month later...

I am reviving this old post, because I think that I FINALLY understand how the numbering system and/or Unit ID's work thanks to Brian over at LOR.

I was thinking that if I set max units to 16 that when I went to set a NEW unit ID that "10" would be an available id number to assign.

However I now realize that setting the unit id to 10 makes the controller actually #16.

I was trying to avoid going through every sequence and changing my channels form 10-01 through 10-16, 11-01 through 11-16 and 12-01 through 12-16 to:

0A-1 through 0A-16, 0B-1 through 0B-16 and 0C-1 through 0C-16.

Seeing as I might actually have 16 controllers one day or more it is better to just follow the program and continue the sequencing in the numbering it gives me.

I should only have to change my channel configuration once and then import it for the 5 sequences that I have completed so far.

Neil

PS If the above information is not correct, feel free to confuse my small mind even further:D:D:D

Your method is the easiest - you have controllers, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. When you get another controller, number it 0A, number the next one 0B, etc.

nmonkman wrote:

I was trying to avoid going through every sequence and changing my channels

But if you wanted to change your channels in your sequences, you don't have to go through every sequence. Just go through one sequence changing your channels, then export the channel configuration and import it to all of your other sequences.

iresq wrote:

Steven wrote:

Now that is funny :shock::D:D

:D:Dshhh