Light-O-Rama Forums

Clarity Questions

zman

I am looking to get clarity on a few items. I am giving a discussion at our PNW Mini on DMX and want to represent LOR and the subject as best as possible.

First, can I get a laymans explaination on an intellegent DMX channel. I believe the iDMX will support 64 of these now (or eventually with the update).

Second, today, LOR only supports 256 channels of the available 512 in the protocol. I have read on this forum some info I need clarity on. Does that mean that TODAY, the iDMX can only support 16 different ID devices. I understand slaves. The assumption is that those 16 devices have allocated 16 channels max. So, no more than 16 today. BUT, if I understand the protocol, I could have 512 1 channel ID devices (256 with LOR today). LOR DOES NOT support more than 16 devices period, correct? WIth the update coming, I read that it will not support more than 32 devices, is this correct?

Last. the IDMX has a teminator built in. Does that mean that I could use the OUT to start the daisy chain, and then the IN to loop back and terminate the system.

I think that is it for now till I start to generate my PPT. Thanks!

I use DMX in my business but not LOR. I will give some basic dmx info.

Definition of an intellegent DMX channel: I am not familiar with an intellegent dmx channel. DMX can be used to control 'intellegent' fixtures. Meaning that dmx can turn on, off, dim, change color, or move a capable fixture based on dmx values.

DMX512 protocol allows for up to 512 channels. LOR and most non-industrial light contollers use 256 channels. Each channel has a value from 0 - 256.

The typical dmx controll panel has 8 sliders with a a/b switch for a total of 16 channels. The control panel will also have fixture buttons. So fixture one - the 8 slides would be valued 1-8 and 9-16. Fixture two - the eight slides would be 17-25 and 26-33. And so on.

But each fixture does not typically need 16 channels. If you have two - 2 channel fixtures and one - 4 channel fixture there is nothing preventing you from assigning fixture one to channel 1, fixture two to channel 3 and fixture three to channel 5. Channels 1 and 2 would control fixture one, channels 3 and 4 would control fixture two and channels 5, 6, 7, and 8 would control fixture three. DMX care's not. Each fixture is assigned an ID. It simply waits for that ID to appear then functions as directed.

If you have multiple fixtures that you want to to operate in the exact same manner, you can assign each unit the same ID number.

I have looked at the LOR dmx console and it looks identicle to my hardware consoles. I am pretty sure it operates in the same way and you could program many fixtures as outlined above.

As for termination, I would not be too concerned unless you are experiencing flaky results.

mutilple edits for spelling and content. Should have used word. Sorry.

zman wrote:

Second, today, LOR only supports 256 channels of the available 512 in the protocol. I have read on this forum some info I need clarity on. Does that mean that TODAY, the iDMX can only support 16 different ID devices. I understand slaves. The assumption is that those 16 devices have allocated 16 channels max. So, no more than 16 today. BUT, if I understand the protocol, I could have 512 1 channel ID devices (256 with LOR today). LOR DOES NOT support more than 16 devices period, correct? WIth the update coming, I read that it will not support more than 32 devices, is this correct?

Last. the IDMX has a teminator built in. Does that mean that I could use the OUT to start the daisy chain, and then the IN to loop back and terminate the system.

DMX is 512 channels per universe. currently LOR can only output to the first 256 of those channels. Each iDMX can be set to its own "universe".

intellegent fixtures each use a block of control channels, of which very between each fixture. if your fixture uses 16 channels then you are correct in that currently one iDMX will only be able to control 16 fixtures. the update would allow you to control 32 of the fixtures.

I would recommend against terminating the DMX chain into the same iDMX. some fixtures will have a menu option to self terminate. Terminators are easy to make - 120ohm 1/4w resistor across the data pins (usually 2 & 3). and they are relatively cheap ( i would also invest in a dmx tester - one with 2 leds that verify data transmission)

chris

zman wrote:

First, can I get a laymans explaination on an intellegent DMX channel. I believe the iDMX will support 64 of these now (or eventually with the update).

While each iDMX supports 256 channels (eventually 512), each iDMX unit only allows 32 of those channels to be intelligent (to be 64 later?) While an "intelligent" channel does not actually exist in DMX, it does exist when using the iDMX on a LOR network. LOR defines an intelligent channel as "...channels that perform high level LOR controller commands like fading, twinkling, and shimmering." Intelligent channels are automatically allocated and released as the controller needs them, so there is nothing for you to configure. As the description above says, intelligent is only a measure of what your sequence is doing. Here are a few examples using opposites:

"Dumb" channels: (These are all intensity commands.)
Turn snow/fog/bubble/strobe on/off.
Change value of colorwheel
Rotate gobo to a set index value using intensity tool.
Move a moving head fixture to a fixed point using intensity tool. (Fixture moves to that point as quickly as possible and stays there.)
Project yellow on your house using RBG color values on RBG device.
Change from yellow to red on RBG device (instantaneous)
Anything where you set an intensity level (without fade) in LOR.

"Intelligent" channels: (These are all fade commands.)
Slowly increase volume of snow/bubbles/fog using a fade
Spin colorwheel 3 values by fading through applicable color values
Rock gobo back and forth by continously fading between two index values
Change location of moving head fixture with smooth, slow pan/tilt (fade)
Fade light or colorwash intensity.
Smooth color fade from Yellow to Red on RGB device.
Anything where you draw a fade, twinkle, or shimmer in LOR.

The only thing to watch out for is to make sure you don't exceed the 32 intelligent channel limit, or you will get unexpected results. The LOR channel only remains intelligent while the LOR command is executing, so as soon as the fade/shimmer/twinkle ends, that channel immediately becomes 'dumb' again. The bottom line is you can only have 32 DMX channels executing a fade, twinkle, or shimmer at the same time.

Michael

I was able to fade 150 channels of dmx with no ill effects

I am going to try and fade 255 channels this weekend ;)

Dr. Jones wrote:

Michael

That's awesome if we don't have the limitation! :D

Does that mean the LOR specifications in their manual is wrong? :shock:

michael.farney wrote:

Dr. Jones wrote:
Michael

That's awesome if we don't have the limitation! :D

Does that mean the LOR specifications in their manual is wrong? :shock:

Were they fading all at the same time?

Currently S2 only supports 256

it is intended to support 512 this year, but from some of the comments I have seen from Dan, I'm not to optimistic that it will be a feature this year. I believe it will support all 512 channels at some time.

• 3 weeks later...

When we first built the iDMX1000 it was named the iDMX32. It was planned to have 32 intelligent channels. When we pre-sold the the interface, we advertised it as the iDMX32. Many people purchased it believing that they would receive an interface with 32 intelligent channels.

The final product (which is the only thing we have ever delivered) is the iDMX1000. It is named the iDMX1000 because we did not want the name to be tied to any performance characteristics because they can and will be changed with firmware updates.

After reading this thread again and because of the confusion of initially advertising and pre-selling the 32 and actually delivering the 1000, I was so confused I had to check for myself:) The documentation (both the User's guide and the Data Sheet say that there are 64 intelligent channels. So I had someone take a look at the code to verify. Yes there are 64 intelligent channels.

So as people have mentioned you can only have 64 intelligent functions active at any one time. Twinkle, Shimmer and Fade are intelligent functions. Once a channel is at at a steady intensity ( between 0% and 100% inclusive ) it not considered intelligent.

We are looking to increase the number of intelligent channels but the iDMX1000's microprocessor memory presents a limit. While your PC has millions or billions of bytes of memory the microprocessor in the iDMX1000 has about 3 to 4 thousand and that is what limits the number of intelligent channels. ( it can and will be enhanced! ).
The current limit in the software is 256 channels per iDMX1000. S2 will be enhanced to support all 512 channels and all 256 intensities. The exact release date of those enhancements is not set.

Dan

Thank you for the clarification.:D

I am one of the users who are eagerly awaiting the update:D

Keep up the good work

Chris

• The topic was locked