Light-O-Rama Forums

What's The Difference

nmonkman

I have 9 controllers right now and I have always ordered the kits:

CTB16k Deluxe kits for 159.95

What is the difference between that and the CTB16PC that runs 99.95 or 119.95 with the high power heat sinks?

Thanks,

Neil

Okay, GREAT!

I appreciate the information. So with the 9 controllers that I have already I could still daisy chain to the CTB16PC controllers and the hardware utility will set the unit id.

Once the unit id is set by the hardware utility it won't change unless I assign a new unit id to it, right?

I would also have to change out my breakers for future controllers to 30 amps. The lugs are not a big issue as I have plenty of those lying around.

I am just wondering how much a difference it would make for me in the long run to switch to the PC controllers now or if I am better of staying with what I have.

Opinions?

Neil

Yes. Any type of LOR controller can be connected to another. You are not limited to one type of controller on your network.

Unit ID: Correct. "Set it and forget it" if you will.

Unless I'm missing something about your setup, there isn't a reason to change out the breakers on your panel. Of the two, the CTB-16D is actually the higher powered controller.

Aside from not being able to direct a stand-alone animation sequence (which 97% of the people here are not going to do anyway) the PC version performs the same as the CTB-16D.

Don wrote:

Unless I'm missing something about your setup, there isn't a reason to change out the breakers on your panel. Of the two, the CTB-16D is actually the higher powered controller.

Oops! What I meant to say was 15 amp rather than the 20 amp that are there now. With this being a 30 amp controller max I wouldn't want a surge or a mix up frying one side or both, right?

The fast acting ceramic fuses in the controllers should always blow faster than a circuit breaker will trip. The 20A breakers are protecting your house wiring, and any cords leading up to the controller.. The fuses are what is protecting the controller, though sometimes short circuit currents build so fast that the fuse can't clear the short current before it cooks a triac.

Since the bank of 8 outlets that feed my display get used year around for other things like my air compressor, welder, table saw, and other tools, they are all 20A breakers. I have no concerns about it at all.

- Kevin

• 2 months later...

Thank You Don for posting the excel spreadsheet.

So just to confirm, I can ADD this PC box to my MP3-Director (via the Cat5 cable) that is running the show without any problems? For $50 less, this seems like a pretty good deal.

Also, has anyone "set the channels" using the Hardware Utility? Is it complicated? Are their instructions some where to show you how to do this?

Since I'm not nearly as sharp as most of you, can I ask one more question for purely educational purposes? In the excel spreadsheet, it says under power connections that the LOR1602W uses "terminal strip" and the PC box uses spade lugs? What are spade lugs and terminal strips?

Thanks everyone. If anyone is looking for some heat, it will be 112 in Phoenix today. :)

mcnamara9 wrote:

So just to confirm, I can ADD this PC box to my MP3-Director (via the Cat5 cable) that is running the show without any problems?

Yes

mcnamara9 wrote:
Also, has anyone "set the channels" using the Hardware Utility? Is it complicated? Are their instructions some where to show you how to do this?

No - http://www.lorwiki.com/lor-software/hwu/40-hardware-utility/71-setting-unit-ids.html

mcnamara9 wrote:
Since I'm not nearly as sharp as most of you, can I ask one more question for purely educational purposes? In the excel spreadsheet, it says under power connections that the LOR1602W uses "terminal strip" and the PC box uses spade lugs? What are spade lugs and terminal strips?

This is just how you plug into it. If you look at the pics on LOR site you can EASLY see both Spade are jsut that little spades a connecter slids on and Ternimal strip is a strip with screw conenctors wire goe into.

Harrison

Thanks Harrison.

By the way, I almost moved to Flower Mound for a job change. I have some terrific friends who live there as well. That would have been fun to animate by another LOR'er.