Light-O-Rama Forums

Do I need to run 2 networks?

stunney

I've been having an unbelievable amount of issues this year trying to get my CCBs up and running. Last year I had 2 CTB16PC controllers and everything went great.  This year I added 4 CCB controllers and then everything went sideways. I have all 6 controllers daisy chained together, yet when I go to HU and refresh, it only finds 1 CTB16 and 3 of the CCB controllers. I tried connecting directly to the CTB16 that it wouldnt find before, and it works fine when connected alone.  Reconnect to the network and still wont find it.  I updated my software license to PRO for unlimited controllers, but still no luck. 

I have my CCB power on a timer, and just noticed that when the CCBs are powered down, i can refresh and see both CTB16 just fine. Do I need to run 2 separate networks? I was under the impression that the controllers can all be daisy chained together. 

If someone could help me with this it would be much appreciated. I need to resolve this issue before tackling the software problems...

To be honest I'm not sure. Probably just the regular speed. I was just doing some reading about network speeds. How do I go about changing that?

I think the default is 57.6k and you might be able to get away with 115k with 4 CCBs and that is the highest speed you can go with the black USB485 if that is what you are using. If you have to go up to High Speed 500k or enhanced network then you will need the red USB485HS.

Go into your Network Configuration and under the LOR tab you will see the speed setting on the right side.

The other thing to check is do you have a Unit ID duplicated between the CTB-16 and CCBs?  That would cause things not to show up (i.e. the HU polls for Unit ID 01 and both Unit 01s answer - it's unpredictable which the HU will hear).  I'm suspecting that because unplugging the CCBs will make the "missing" CTB-16 re-appear, I'll bet you have one of the CCBs with the same Unit ID as one of the CTB-16s.

And I agree with Mr. P, once you get the cause of missing controllers resolved, up the network to 115K.  If you don't have the red high speed USB adapter (so you can't go to 500K speed), you can change to enhanced LOR network - IF your CTB-16 controllers are Gen-3.  They or the CCBs may need firmware updates for enhanced too...

To be honest I'm not sure. Probably just the regular speed. I was just doing some reading about network speeds. How do I go about changing that?

1 hour ago, stunney said:

There are several ways to get to the Network Configuration.  They are:

1)  From within Sequence Editor:  Menu > Edit > Preferences > Network Preferences.

2)  From the LOR Control Panel (light bulb in system tray:  Right click > Network Preferences.

3)  From the Start Menu:  Light-O-Rama > Light-O-Rama Network Configuration

4)  If you have a Network Preferences desktop icon: Network_Config-Icon.png  Double click it.

Any of these will bring up the Network Configuration utility.  It will look like one of the following two (Simple mode or Advanced mode):

Simple mode

Network_Config-Simple.png

or Advanced

Network_Config-Advanced.png

In either case, you need to be on the LOR tab.  If you double click on a network, you will get this box:

Network_Config-Selected.png

That lets you change the settings.  Then select OK, the on the previous screen also select OK.

BTW, this is the network config for my show computer.  The DMX tab has a bunch more since this year I'm running 16 DMX universes (all E1.31).

Got it?

• Like 1

Why the timer on the CCB power? 

Seems to me like an unnecessary variable, and the kind of open window that Mr. Murphy just loves jumping through.

I have double checked the unit IDs and they are all setup properly.  The CTB16s are 01 and 02 and the CCBs are 0A, 0B, 0C and 0D.

I have the red 485 adapter, and my CTB16s are Gen3 so I changed network speed to 500k and it didn't make any difference.

I dont usually use the timer. I bought it because it has 6 outlets on it but I usually leave it in constant ON mode.

Anyways, i'm still only able to see 1 of my 2 CTB16s when all 6 units are powered up. When the CCBs are powered down i can see both CTB16s fine.  I also noticed that when all 6 are powered on, controller 01 (the one that I can not see with HU) has the fist 3 channels flickering on and off randomly, even with HU not running.....   I'm so confused....

4 hours ago, stunney said:

Anyways, i'm still only able to see 1 of my 2 CTB16s when all 6 units are powered up. When the CCBs are powered down i can see both CTB16s fine.

I'm not following this statement. Are you talking about not seeing them in the Hardware utility, or output from them to the lights?

If you ONLY hook up your 2 CTB16's, do they still work like last year?

When you set the Unit ID's for the CCB's you only had 1 connected at a time correct? and they all accepted their Unit ID's with no errors?

4 hours ago, stunney said:

I have double checked the unit IDs and they are all setup properly.  The CTB16s are 01 and 02 and the CCBs are 0A, 0B, 0C and 0D.

I'm curious as to why you numbered the CCB's to these numbers. Why not 3,4,5,6  Is it possible you do not have your Max Unit ID set high enough to see them?

hu.png

Usually after you set the Unit ID's you are done with the Hardware Utility. It causes confusion for people because they don't see all the lights come on unless you spend some time with it and set it to test every pixel which takes time. It is easier and quicker to make a Test Sequence and run it from Sequence Editor to test the lights that way. At least I have found it quicker and easier.

If you are concerned that each controller is not getting a signal, try plugging in one at a time, if it fails use another Cat5 cable (and get rid of the bad one) and so on.

Hardware Utility can not be running when Sequence Editor is. Also be sure the Control Panel is running.

Alan...

12 hours ago, default said:

I'm not following this statement. Are you talking about not seeing them in the Hardware utility, or output from them to the lights?

If you ONLY hook up your 2 CTB16's, do they still work like last year?

When you set the Unit ID's for the CCB's you only had 1 connected at a time correct? and they all accepted their Unit ID's with no errors?

I'm curious as to why you numbered the CCB's to these numbers. Why not 3,4,5,6  Is it possible you do not have your Max Unit ID set high enough to see them?

hu.png

Usually after you set the Unit ID's you are done with the Hardware Utility. It causes confusion for people because they don't see all the lights come on unless you spend some time with it and set it to test every pixel which takes time. It is easier and quicker to make a Test Sequence and run it from Sequence Editor to test the lights that way. At least I have found it quicker and easier.

If you are concerned that each controller is not getting a signal, try plugging in one at a time, if it fails use another Cat5 cable (and get rid of the bad one) and so on.

Hardware Utility can not be running when Sequence Editor is. Also be sure the Control Panel is running.

Alan...

I can not see them in hardware utility, but light output is all messed up too.  If all 6 contollers are powered ON when i try to run a show from last year, CTB #01 does not work properly.  Most of the channels on 01 are erratic and flash randomly while CTB 02 works better but still not as it should.  If only the CTBs are powered up (which was my setup last year... RGBs are new this year) both CTBs work properly and I can see both if i look in HU

Only 1 controller was connected at a time when I assigned unit IDs. I confirmed that all unit ids were correct and all 4 CCBs tested properly individually after I set unit ids.   Max unit ID is set to 10

I have not made a test sequence yet for the CCBs as i wont even be able to use them if i cant even get my original setup working.

I have a cat5 cable tester which i have used on each cable individually, as well as the entire daisy chain, and everything tests good.

Control Panel is running and yes, only 1 of HU and SE open at a time.

Do you want to add the CCB's to Network 1 or 2 as Don suggested? Or do you want to add them a new network?

If you haven't done any sequencing for the CCB, then you won't have to change any sequences.

Alan...

Edit - Sorry I got confused between 2 different threads.:blink:

Edited by default

I wanted to run everything on 1 network if I can.I do have a 2nd rs485 adapter if I need to run a 2nd network but its the black one, not the red.

I got confused with this thread and another, which is asking similar question. my bad.. sorry

As Mr P said your asking a lot to run this from one network.

It would better if you had the 4 CCB's on another network with a RS485 (Red Hi-Speed), but since you don't have one. You can add another network for the 4 CCB's with the Black RS485 and see if it helps. At least your original 2 CTB16PC would work properly.

Do you know how to add another network?

Alan...

I am running the Red high speed adapter right now with the 6 controllers.  I changed the network speed to 500k.  Would that not be fast enough?

(my backup adapter is the black one)

Oh OK, I misunderstood. The issue could be that the 2 CTB16PC controllers are older and not able to run on a network speed higher than 100k. Have you updated firmware on these controllers. Firmware updates can be found on the LOR Website  http://www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/

Either way, if you have 2 RS485 adapters 1 - red, 1 black. I would put the 2 CTB16PC controllers on the first network (Regular) and run a speed of 56k (that's all they will need) I would then put the 4 CCB's on another network (Aux A) with the RED Hi-Speed RS485 adapter running a network speed of 500k enhanced.

Alan...