Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware dropping In and out

LKFuchs

Not sure if hardware or software, I believe hardware.  This year I have added 4 singing Christmas Tree faces and none of them plus other channels seem to drop in and out.  I say in and out because when I have a controller box open The status light moves from solid to blinking then solid, blinking during every sequence.  Therefore, the singing faces and other channels do not respond to the sequence programming.  I have verified that all sequences are programmed with the correct channel info, the cords are plugged into the correct channels.  I have the sequences programmed on a  regular LOR network, running at 57.6K, includes 19 controllers (12 of them CCR's)  I tried increasing the speed to 19.1K and the issues remain.  I have tried running the 4 faces as stand alone and the issues remain.  I have programmed new replacement sequences and the issues remain. I have replaced the USB485B with a different one and the issues remain.  I have verified that all data cables are not close to electrical, I have replaced the data cable nearest to the computer and run the face sequence and the issues remain.  I have run the verifier and it comes back clean with no errors or duplicate channels.  I have taken the laptop outside and plugged it directly into the two controllers for the faces on a new network cable and the issues remain.

Does anyone have any other suggestions besides throwing everything in the trash?

If you are running 19 controllers with 12 of them being CCRs and you are only running one network then your problem is too many channels on one network. You should be using two networks with your CCRs on a high speed network and your other controllers on a regular network.

Listen to Mr. P. 12 CCRs plus seven regular controllers as WAY to much for a 56k network!!! Back before 500k networks, the rough rule of thumb was six CCRs on a 115k network. You could likely get away with your 19 controllers on a 500k network, but you would be best suited to split into two networks. I would run the 12 CCRs on a 500k enhanced mode network, and the other seven controllers on a separate network at 115k (enhanced if all your controllers can handle it, AND you are NOT using input triggers).

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

thank you for your responses.  I was beginning to suspect that.  I have a reel of cat5E data cables, ends and crimper so will make up a new long data cable for the project.

3 minutes ago, LKFuchs said:

Mr. P, would you also suggest increasing the regular and/or aux networks above 57.6K?

Oh heck yes, especially the network that will have the 12 CCRs.

Mr P.  I have been thinking of your suggestion about setting up an aux network for the 12 ccr's and it does not make sense since if I take the laptop outside and plug it directly into the two LOR controllers that run only the singing faces with the other 17 controllers totally removed from the system I still see the LOR controller status lights glow steady, then drop in and out from steady to blinking during any of the sequences and the lights on the singing faces do not correspond to the sequence commands that are programmed.  I am beginning to wonder if the laptop might have an intermittent issue with the comm ports.

Remember that whether the other controllers are conned or not is irrelevant. The show player is still sending commands to them.

And no matter what you do, running 12 CCRs plus seven regular controllers is not going to work worth a darn on a single 57k network.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

ohhhh, that then makes sense.  I wonder why the LOR help desk never suggested that I set up an aux network when I sent them all of these same details.

Thanks for explaining

41 minutes ago, LKFuchs said:

ohhhh, that then makes sense.  I wonder why the LOR help desk never suggested that I set up an aux network when I sent them all of these same details.

Thanks for explaining

That's a long ticket. I'm guessing he just missed that fact. 

Mistakes happen. :(

• The topic was locked