Light-O-Rama Forums

485 Dongle

BlackwolfK9

Can the 485 dongle fail.  All of a sudden with no changes, i can't see any of my controllers.  Hardware utility returns 0 units found.  Brought in a CMB 24D and plugged it straight to dongle and still 0 units found.  Does this have to happen on Thanksgiving day? Ugh!

Yes, they can. Open up the Windows Device Manager and look at the section for comm ports. See if Windows changed the comm port number on it. If Windows recognizes the adapter, you should see the comm port go away and come back if you unplug and after a few seconds plug it back in.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

When I plug it in a USB Serial Converter device appears, then goes away when I unplug it.  Also this is Windows XP, no comm ports show any numbers.

Sorry just checked again, it does show up as com 3 then goes away when I unplug it.  Also the little green led on the controller never quits blinking which to me shows no network connection.

Edited by BlackwolfK9

OK, so Windows recognizes that it exists.  Make sure that you are using Com 3 in Network Preferences and in the Hardware Utility.  There is the possibility that it used to be something else.  If LOR is (and has been) using Com 3, then the most likely possibility is a bad Cat-5 connection, however you presumably eliminated that by taking one controller inside.

I tried multiple (tested cables) and no change in results.  The green led on controller never quits blinking, to say that a network is located.  I have Falcon controller that has a LOR 485 output and when I plug the ctb16 in to it, the led goes solid and looks normal.  My best guess is dongle has failed, any way around that?  I'm sure LOR won't be open till Monday.

Is there any way to test a CMB24D to make sure its working properly?  The little led on it is not coming on.  (Different problem, sorry)

Edited by BlackwolfK9

Sounds like you did a pretty good job of troubleshooting the RS-485 problem.  If you are lucky, there is another LOR forum member semi-close by that has an extra they can send you.  Push comes to shove, after tonight (last night for my year round landscaping lighting until January), I don't need my regular network as the InputPup on it is not used for Christmas.  I could overnight it Friday for a Saturday delivery if you can't come up with one closer.  It's a black (non high speed) version.

Hint for next year - have a spare.

For the dead CMB24, first thing is to check the fuses, and make sure you have power to it.

Thanks so much for your offer. Let me explore other options but I will keep it on mind

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Have you tried the controllers by running a sequence?  For whatever reason, the H.U. doesn't always seem to see my controllers, but they still function like normal when I run my sequences. Not sure why this happens, but it seems to be a common issue.

That's how I found out that I had a problem by trying to run a sequence

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You may still want to try another controller on a short cat 5 cable to your RS485 dongle.  It *might* be a bad RJ45 in the controller (I'm suffering from that issue right now) in which case, use the other RJ45 with that unit being the last in the cable daisy chain, or like I had to one year, build an RJ45 to RJ11 adapter cable and use the left most connector.

But from the sounds of it, it's probably a bad RS485 dongle; the output chip is probably kaput.

Any updates? I'm having the same issues. I connected 3 controllers inside and they all worked. I ran all my lights and plugged into controller. Now the computer will not find the units. I tried each individual on and it worked, then when I daisy chained they stopped. Now I can't even get individual ones to work. 

36 minutes ago, Pistonpuller said:

Any updates? I'm having the same issues. I connected 3 controllers inside and they all worked. I ran all my lights and plugged into controller. Now the computer will not find the units. I tried each individual on and it worked, then when I daisy chained they stopped. Now I can't even get individual ones to work. 

Pistonpuller - Your issue seems to be a different one from what the OP is experiencing. If you are able to bring a controller inside and have it function, then the RS485 converter is working. It would appear from what you have said is that you have a communication problem. If you're not finding ANY of your controllers, then the problem lies between the converter and the first controller. You might want to verify that the RJ45s are plugged in all the way (until you hear them "click" in. Try a new cat 5 cable from the converter to the first controller. You could also try plugging the cat 5 into the other RJ45 jack in that controller. Let us know how you make out.

D.T.

Thanks DT. I could not find any controllers, so I updated the driver. Now I can find them individually. But the won't daisey chain. Ironically they all work on the middle jack but not on the right side jack?

Edited by Pistonpuller

• The topic was locked