Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller works erratic

steveV967

I built three new controllers this year. I'm testing them with my animated display, but one of the controllers is acting erratic. When I have it go through all the lights in the hardware test, sometimes a circuit will light up, then next time around it won't, sometimes it won't shut off, etc.It's not consistent. All 16 channels are displaying this problem of occasionally not working.

The other 2 controllers are not exhibiting this behavior, when the test goes around the 16 channels they all turn on and off every time.

Before I go though every solder joint, is there something else I should be looking for, or a specific area on the board?

These are all CTB16PC controllers

Edited by steveV967

I just popped them out and back in. Same thing. 

Really strange. I'm trying a simple sequence and it seems to be working. Every time I turn on the light and turn it off it works. I ran a 30 second sequence of turning the lights on and off every 2/10 of a second and it never missed.

Not sure why the hardware tester is acting differently. 

Like I mentioned. My other two units are not having this issue. 

I reflashed the firmware to the same version, but it's still doing it. 

Well looks like we found the issue.

Tech support had me check the 8 pin RS485 chip by swapping it with one of my working controllers. My working controller then exhibited the same issue and the controller that had the issue worked fine.

Hoping I can get one at radio shack tomorrow, or I'll have to wait for the replacement from Light-O-Rama.

Wish I had noticed this issue when I built them, but it lit up. I didn't test it going through a sequence. :(

• The topic was locked