Light-O-Rama Forums

hardware/network question

kevinob

As a first timer for Halloween I successfully ran 2  CTB16PC-ReadyToGO controllers via my laptop using the  USB485-HS  cat5 dongle connector. (woohoo! I'm now addicted...) I've chosen to add a pixcon16 with some RGB strings to my arsenal. Sure, questionable decision this time o year but it'll be something to keep me busy late at night I suppose.... :)

While it's about to arrive, I have some quick questions in advance of the panic of everything showing up at my front door  ---

As far as hooking up the hardware and creating the network(s) of controllers: My understanding is that the Pixcon16 controller must run on an "Enhanced LOR (ELOR)" network connection. My interpretation based on research and the "Big Picture Ecosystem diagram" online is that (assuming I want both my ctb16pc's and Pixcon as part of my setup) I must now have 2 connections back to my computer. I believe the cause is that the ctb16PC's don't do ELOR. So those 2 connections to my laptop would be (#1) for my ctb16PC's and (#2) for my Pixcon16. It appears as though I have a choice for Pixcon16 to be connected via either another USB dongle or an ethernet switch. I'm not sure if the choice of USB dongle or ethernet switch generates advantages or disadvantages either way...

Can someone maybe confirm/answer the specifics of below?---

1. Does my situation indeed call for 2 connections to my computer (ie. confirm assumption that I cannot just 'daisy chain' the LOR network Laptop --> USB485-HS  cat5 dongle --->cat5 --> PixCon16---> cat5 ---> CTB16PC#1 ---> cat5 ---> ctb16PC#2 )?

2. if I use an ethernet switch (which would be convenient as I have one lying around), will I still be able to run the Pixcon in LOR mode rather than ESTA mode? (I'd like my stuff to all be in LOR mode.... since I'm still going up the learning curve on all this...). Or would I need another USB485-HS dongle to keep the Pixcon16 in LOR mode?

Thanks, Kevin

Lets first clear up what CTB16 controllers you have. If they are the G3, green led light left of the rj45 connectors, then yes they will work on the enhanced network with the current 1.08 firmware update. The older CTB16, red led light to the right of the rj45 connectors, will not.

I recently bought the the CTB16s during this year's summer sale if that's an indicator. I am not at home but will check when I get there. I do believe I recall seeing a green light to the left of the rj45 connectors. I will confirm/deny and post the answer for sure later today. 

Thanks for your reply!

so I do have the CTB16G3... so I believe you've answered my question #1 and rendered question #2 moot. 1 connection to my laptop will help limit the complexity and things to keep track of.

Thanks @Mr. P!

,,,,, off to put things together :)

Kevin

• The topic was locked