Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB16 5 dongles - 7/8/9 is pushing out green to the strand and nothing else works

Chagoi

CMB16 5 dongles - 7/8/9 is pushing out green to the strand and nothing else works. Have tried a reset and during the reset, the same channels stayed green, it is like it didn't reset? Any ideas? rebooted PC, reset controller, it worked the other day no problem. I can see it in hardware so does that mean not a network issue? things dont change when the show is ran, other 4 dongles dont light up and this one stays green?

update: I got the controller to control the other strands, but the middle strand is green constantly and during the show, as other colors are sent to the strand, it ends up displaying the wrong color. It is not the strand as no matter what strand I plug into that channel, it does the same thing. So I have 7/8/9 which is 1 dongle pushing out green to any strand plugged into it. Ideas?

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

You may have blown the mosfet if the color is staying on.

what is a mosfet? Is that something I can replace?

Edited by Chagoi

2 minutes ago, Chagoi said:

what is a mosfet? Is that something I can replace?

It's the big black square chip next to where you plug your lights on the board. You can replace yourself if you have any soldering skills.

Just now, Mr. P said:

It's the big black square chip next to where you plug your lights on the board. You can replace yourself if you have any soldering skills.

where do I get the part? I can solder.

You can contact the help desk and they may send you some. It sounds like the green channel may have been shorted.

Never ever touch the board or wires when the board is powered. Always check the little strands of wire as all it takes is one stray strand to blow these things.

Are you using an extension cord on the light that's having issues by chance? I had a similar issue just tonight with blue not going to one of the lights off 10,11,12 and it was the extension cord from a couple years ago got cooked.  No idea how.  But I replaced it and am good to go.

9 hours ago, morden11 said:

Are you using an extension cord on the light that's having issues by chance? I had a similar issue just tonight with blue not going to one of the lights off 10,11,12 and it was the extension cord from a couple years ago got cooked.  No idea how.  But I replaced it and am good to go.

no, I wish it was that easy. Mr. P was right, it was mosfet #8. I went back on the roof and took down the controller. Once I got it inside, I saw mosfet 8 was smoked. For this year, I swapped the controller with another cmb16 that I was only using 3 of the 5 dongles in that part of the show.

• The topic was locked