Light-O-Rama Forums

Magic intensity button

Al in Raleigh

I have a somewhat complicated sequence that is written in default 100% and 0% intensity settings. If I wanted to change a portion of a sequence with lots of ramps from100% to say 75% is there an easy way to do this? I would like to highlight a section of the sequence and leave the ramps and stuff alone but change the overall intensity from 100% to say 75% without converting all of the ramps and stuff one by one. Thanks for your help.
Al

Jeff, I must be doing something wrong. Does this only work for a single ramp or can I select several ramps?
Al

Thanks Jeff. I really appreciate your help. I guess what I want can't be done. Maybe I can wish for this as an option in the future.

To help clarify, I made an example. The top two rows are what I have. The middle 2 rows are what I want. The bottom 2 rows are what I keep getting. If I took the pointer and highlighted the entire upper 2 rows, I would then push the "magic button" and the middle 2 rows would appear. Instead, I keep getting the bottom 2 rows. Oh well.

The need for this came about while sequencing for my singing pumpkins. I sequenced the voices fine but it was for 0% and 100% intensity. After watching the animation, I realized that the voices were softer at times than others. DUH. Changing an entire section of a sequence quickly would be nice.

Thanks again for your help.
Al

Attached files 151604=8820-lor example a.jpg

There is a way to accomplish this, although you'll need a text editor that handles the XML formatting correctly. I made a small test sequence similar to yours:

org_intensity.JPG

I then opend the .lms file in my editor. You can see all of the intensities are "100"

org_intensity_text.JPG

I then did a find and replace for the string Intensity="100" and Intensity="20" with Intensity="75" which resulted with this file:

edited_intensity_text.JPG

In LOR, the sequence now looks like this:

edited_intensity.JPG

I use a free editor called TextEdit 2.1 which has worked well for me. You can download here:
http://www.download.com/TextEdit/3000-2351_4-10398908.html?tag=pub
The only problem with this method is is that it is sort of all or nothing as far as changing the levels. You can certainly edit lines individually to make exceptions, but then you might as well change them in LOR. Hope this helps.

Mark

Ok Mark you have been added to my Christmas card list for this year. Your technique would work wonderfully if I copied the sequence into shorter segments (like Gary Slater suggested in another thread). Changed the overall intensity for the smaller segment, then combined the smaller segments.

I will continue to hope for the Magic Button (hint, hint, wink, wink), but you have come up with an easy work around. It never occurred to me to manipulate the sequence file. I wrote code for many years and should have explored that possibility. It must be the onset of dementia for me.

Thanks,
Al

Glad it worked for you. The new file format really adds flexibilty for those who are always looking for that 'something extra'.

Mark

If you decide to manually modify a sequence file, please make sure to save a backup copy before doing so. It's not all that difficult to accidentally make a change that will render the file incomprehensible to LOR.

bob wrote:

If you decide to manually modify a sequence file, please make sure to save a backup copy before doing so. It's not all that difficult to accidentally make a change that will render the file incomprehensible to LOR.

Good point. I should have mentioned this, but this is standard practice for me. I usually copy and rename it or copy or to my desktop before I modify it. LOR does create a backup file for you, but you can never be too safe.

Mark

This should work if we all chant it together. Ready, lets go.

We want a Magic Intensity Button. Yeah that's right, we want a Magic Intensity Button. We want a Magic Intensity Button. We want a Magic Intensity Button. Repeat as necessary.

Regardless, Mark rules.

Hey Fred, where in NC do you live?

Al

I can't believe how easy that worked. The ability to truly fine tune a sequence at this level will make my talking animations much simpler to look real.

Since we seem to have the best minds in town working here, here's another newbie question? What's the easiest way to make a twinkle vary in intensity? Can it be done? Will the technique described above work?

George Simmons

I believe that this is one of those updates that Dan was referring too that will require a firmware upgrade. But I am probably wrong as I was wrong intesity setting.

iresq wrote:

I believe that this is one of those updates that Dan was referring too that will require a firmware upgrade. But I am probably wrong as I was wrong intesity setting.

Nope, you are right. Dan has said in the past that a fading twinkle and shimmer will require a firmware upgrade.

As well as an adjustable shimmer rate! It would be cool if you could ramp the rate and intensity independant of each other.

Mark Steele wrote:

bob wrote:
Good point. I should have mentioned this, but this is standard practice for me. I usually copy and rename it or copy or to my desktop before I modify it. LOR does create a backup file for you, but you can never be too safe.

Mark

I strongly second this piece of advise, even when I am not manually editing the XML file, I frequently do a save as, and increment the version number.. I'm only about one minute into the first pass sequencing a song, and excluding the backup files, I have 17 prior versions of the sequence on disk...

- Kevin

Guest wbottomley

Jeff... this is how it's done.

Do a fade down over 20 cells for example. Then, in some of those 20 cells, give them an off command (using the f key).

When you do a playback, it looks like it's doing a fading twinkle.

Now in LOR II, you can use the Foreground and Background tools to do some slick things like this.

For example: Lets say you have a 16 mini-trees and you make them chase for 10 seconds. You could select the Foreground tool and the Fade Up tool. Select all 16 channels and drag the fade across that 10 second chase. That will change your case to a fade up chase.

Dan