Light-O-Rama Forums

Spiral tree - light string placement?

Jaynee

Okay, so last night I finally got my spiral tree frame done, as well as putting in the screws to hold the lights.  It's only eight channels since that's all I have available this year (hoping to add 8 channels every year going forward until the thing is so loaded with lights you can't see the PVC pipe underneath!).

Tell me if I've done it right - the light strings are very close to each other at the top, and then as they loop around, the strings begin to separate in distance from each other.

I've seen videos and pictures online that don't show the light strings separating as much as mine do as they get near the bottom.  Tonight I'm taking the lights off so that I can paint the frame green, but want to know if I need to move my screws around in the frame before I spraypaint it.

As I said, I plan on adding more channels and lights to this over time - so I know eventually those gaps will be filled when I make it a 16-channel spiral next year.  I just want to make sure I'm starting off with this thing the right way.

The tree is somewhere around 6 1/2 feet tall and the base is about 4 1/2 wide -  that's approximate, as I can't remember the exact measurement right now.  I'm using a 20' string of lights, doubled up to make the lights more full.  The strings go around about 1-1/4 times.

Thoughts?

15036416_10211122769690148_647257517055353165_n.jpg

for 8 channels that looks about right. you could put 8 more strings of lights on it in the opposite direction and put two strings per channel and it would look fuller and the spirals would have a neat effect sort of like a double Helix. 

Yes, as I said, going forward I do plan on adding more lights - but I only have 32 channels to work with this year, and 24 of them are being used elsewhere in my display, so I've only got 8 channels.  But I'm hoping to buy at least one more controller during the next LOR sale so that I can have 16 channels for the spiral tree next year (if I have my way I'll be buying 2-3 controllers though).  And then go up from there as I continue to add controllers to my display.

My goal is to eventually have white, green and red lights, 16 channels each.  In fact, I planned for that accordingly by using extra long screws during my initial build, knowing I'd be piling on more lights each year!  Don't know if I'll ever have enough controllers do to both directions though!

To make it look fuller i would add a set of lights in between and just double up the strings on the channels. String 1 + 2 on channel 1, 3 + 4 on channel 2. That's what I would do and then next season just move around the Plugs and you'll have 16 individual strings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Simply looking at it, I think the geometry of the tree is a bit different than some you've seen online.  

The base of your tree seems very wide in proportion to the overall height of the tree.  I have an 11' tree and I don't think the base is that wide.  I could be wrong too, pictures can be deceiving.  That was my first impression upon seeing the picture though.

All-in-all it looks well built.  I think once you add the other 8 channels it will look fine.  To fill it out this year I'd do something like 1983ss454 said and use a single LOR channel to fire the lights on 2 of the tree channels.  Next year then you just have to plus them into their new controller outputs and 'voila', 16 channel tree.  

IMHO, you need longer strands to give it a better spiral effect. Longer strands will let you wrap around more thus making it look fuller.

Edited by Santas Helper

Being honest here I think the lights are wrapped too tight at the top. I would straighten the lights a little towards the top and bring the spiral down a little then I would add  8 more strings of light to fill it in a little and hook them together so you have 8 channels. Rule of thumb spiral trees look best with 1 1/2 to 2 raps. 

You need 12-15ft light strings, IMO. Here's a calculator to help visualize and a thread where we discussed this a little. Less the topper, I think that's about the same tree I did. It's really up to your preference. Lit up at night - everyone will go "awwhhh".

http://westseattlelights.com/Spiral Tree Calculator.xls

51 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

You need 12-15ft light strings, IMO. Here's a calculator to help visualize and a thread where we discussed this a little. Less the topper, I think that's about the same tree I did. It's really up to your preference. Lit up at night - everyone will go "awwhhh".

I'm with Daniel on using the calculator.

Actually, for a 6.5' and using 10' strands, looks like you are getting one wrap/revolution.

I think 15' to 20' strands to get a couple wraps/revolutions around the tree for a nice spiral effect.

but that's just me.

I could've used that calculator wrapping my live trees in the front yard.  I ordered 1200 lights from CDI and was only able to wrap 2 1/2 out of 6. Smh! 33 feet of lights per strand sounds like a lot on the website lol.

I'm sure it'll look fine when the tree is lit. I think we become super sensitive to every detail, but for someone looking at the entire display as a whole, I'm sure it'll be fine.  I have a question since I'm a newb and I haven't even ventured into large scale trees though. Shouldn't the trees be fuller at the bottom and less at the top? In my demented mind that seems like it would more closely mimic nature.

Edited by Sctiger

The fact that the top is fuller than the bottom is because the number of strands are the same but the area they populate is smaller. My tree is 20' plus another 5' for the topper and my base is 9 1/2' in dia. I used 16 runs of RGB dumb ribbons (2 end to end) and was able to go around 2 times.

IMG_5979.JPG

Edited by justaddmorelights

Thanks for the feedback (and photos) everyone!  

I tried using that calculator and it was not that helpful in that it didn't really provide any guidance on placement of the screws other than distance apart on the base ring.  

I'll mess around with it more tonight to try and spread the strings out a bit on top so it is fuller at the bottom, and see what I come up with.  And I'll definitely add more strings per channel so that it looks fuller that way as well.

I'll post a followup picture once I have one, to get more thoughts.  

MHO I would place the second set of light strings directly opposite of the one you will be connecting it to. I will look really cool. I will attempt to upload a video showing mine performing the look you should get. 

Edited by justaddmorelights

I found one of the best ways to do spirals is to start with just 1 spiral.. I worked it around my tree  about 2 1/2 times. played with it to get it looking good then added the next string. took my time and eyeballed it to get it looking pretty close to same as the first... then went next etc. Mine is a 16 channel and you can get a idea how it looks on my you tube videos of it. also my tree is about 10 ft tall not counting the start on top. I use 2 colors and alternate them so actually I have 8 blue and 8 multi color strings on it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN9UrXFS5Lc

this will give you kinda a idea how it looks.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the posts and pictures.  I agree with everyone who said mine is wrapped too tight at the top.  This morning I'm taking down the lights and trying a 20' wrap that is a bit more loose at the top.  We'll see what I end up with!  If using them at the full 20' doesn't look right, I'll just use those light strings elsewhere (they can always be used elsewhere!) and go get 15' strings.

• Like 1

Okay, it took forever to finish today because I realized that I made several mistakes the first time around.  But it's looking much better.

My spacing was wrong on my screws (obviously) despite all my best attempts - when it came time to put the 7th and 8th string on, I had no space at the top turn compared to the bottom turn.  I hate math.  *lol*

Once I got the screws right (and the lights in the right place) I moved the tree to the backyard where I painted the PVC green.  I then began putting the lights back on, but for some reason they were going on WRONG.  The spacing was all off.  I removed all the lights again and started over, and got them as good as they are going to be.  Screws are STILL wrong, but I've been working on this stupid spiral tree for six hours today after already putting in more than enough hours last weekend.  I just want this thing DONE.

So here it is - 8 channels, 20 ft of lights for 2 1/2 turns around, using 2 strings of lights per channel.  Hope to get a star for the top sometime this week as well.  Definitely looks better than the first version, so once again I want to say thanks to everyone for being honest about how it originally looked!

15095524_10211139387145574_1485625257229529641_n.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaynee said:

Okay, it took forever to finish today because I realized that I made several mistakes the first time around.  But it's looking much better.

My spacing was wrong on my screws (obviously) despite all my best attempts - when it came time to put the 7th and 8th string on, I had no space at the top turn compared to the bottom turn.  I hate math.  *lol*

Once I got the screws right (and the lights in the right place) I moved the tree to the backyard where I painted the PVC green.  I then began putting the lights back on, but for some reason they were going on WRONG.  The spacing was all off.  I removed all the lights again and started over, and got them as good as they are going to be.  Screws are STILL wrong, but I've been working on this stupid spiral tree for six hours today after already putting in more than enough hours last weekend.  I just want this thing DONE.

So here it is - 8 channels, 20 ft of lights for 2 1/2 turns around, using 2 strings of lights per channel.  Hope to get a star for the top sometime this week as well.  Definitely looks better than the first version, so once again I want to say thanks to everyone for being honest about how it originally looked!

All your work will pay out. I'm sure it will be amazing!

Just tested the spiral tree and it looks FANTASTIC.  All the hard work totally paid off - I think it's going to be a real hit once we go live on December 1!

3 hours ago, Jaynee said:

That looks MUCH better Jaynee!!!

That's a nice twist for the 20' strands. 

Now lets see a video. :)