Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR vs Zara volume

k6ccc

How do you get the Windows volume control to differentiate between two pieces of software?  They both end up on the same volume control slider (along with any other piece of software that generates sound), so no individual control.  I have a separate control for the CD player, but that does not help for this.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

How do you get the Windows volume control to differentiate between two pieces of software?  They both end up on the same volume control slider (along with any other piece of software that generates sound), so no individual control.  I have a separate control for the CD player, but that does not help for this.

Hmmm, well on my system, when I right click on the volume control in the task bar and select "Open Volume Mixer", the ZR and LOR show up as two different sliders so I can adjust them separately.  And for good measure, I deselect "system sounds" so that any strange  beeps and tones don't get transmitted.  Call me if you want.  Not sure why you say yours show up on the same slider.  Maybe that has something to do with the difference in our sound cards.  not sure

Edited by Richard Hamilton

What Operating System?

I'm on XP.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I am not sure it has much to do with the operating system; however, my show computer is running Windows 7.  I have no mouse, no monitor, and no keyboard connected to it.  When I need to make changes I access it with my Windows 10 laptop via the free version of TeamViewer.  I just looked at my Win 10 computer and it works the same (separate sliders for ZR and LOR).  I no longer have XP on my show computer as I upgraded it this year, but I had XP on that computer for 8 years running LOR shows and pretty sure that I had separate sliders for each program then (according to my notes on setting up my shows.)  The Windows volume mixer shows on my Win 7 show computer has the following sliders....     Device (speakers), Applications (system sounds), CD/DVD, Internet Explorer, Zara Radio, LOR, and TeamViewer.

9 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I am not sure it has much to do with the operating system; however, my show computer is running Windows 7.

Actually it has everything to do with the OS.  That feature apparently was new to Windows Vista (barf), and of course carried forward to Windows 7.  I have confirmed that on all three Win7 computers I use, and that capability exists on all three, but on neither of the Win XP computers.  Some Google searching confirms that the Windows XP sound mixer does not have any ability to control the volume of individual applications.  That makes a second major reason to replace the show computer next year...

9 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I have no mouse, no monitor, and no keyboard connected to it.  When I need to make changes I access it with my Windows 10 laptop via the free version of TeamViewer.

Sort of the same here.  For several years I had no monitor, keyboard, or mouse on the show computer.  When I built up the data cabinet last year, I installed an old 19 inch monitor along with mouse and keyboard on a KVM for the three computers, but it's almost never used.  I use VNC rather than TeamViewer for remote access almost all the time.

Gotta run outside and make sure the new overnight sequence works right that I finished an hour ago...

K6, let me know if you are able to ever see separate volume sliders for the LOR and Zara Radio.  I'm puzzled as to why I see them and you don't, so I'm guessing maybe it is a difference in the audio cards we have.  Best of luck sorting it out.  I don't have any other ideas about this.

As I said in my last post, that capability was added in Windows Vista.  Since my show computer is XP, I don't have that capability.  I have plans to replace the show computer next year with something running Windows 7, so I can run my kludge solution for another three weeks and have a better solution next year.

• The topic was locked