Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485 problem

bobschm

This is the first time I've tried using this on a Windows 10 computer. Last year I plugged the adapter into WIN7, switched to COMM3, and got my sequences talking to my ServoDog (SD) board. In Windows 10, I can't even find any COMM port access. My SD utility comes up with NO ports listed for selection.

At this point, the LOR control Panel is in the tray as a red light bulb. (Only the ServoDog is connected, no LOR controllers are online right now. )

Could this be a firewall issue? What am I missing? Where the heck are my comm ports?

Ok. I unloaded all of LOR and started over (again). I found a single comm port - COMM4. I got SD to talk over that. (No Idea why comm4 didn't show up before)

But apparently the listener is trying to open on comm3 and failing. So how do I get the LOR control panel to switch to comm 4?

Edited by bobschm
New info:

First step is to open the Windows Device Manager and look at the section on comm ports. See if the USB to RS-485 adapter shows up. If it does not show up there, then the LOR software will not be able to find it.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I would recommend downloading the drivers for the USB to RS-485 directly from the LOR website.  Not sure if this will help as I was dealing with Win7.   But I also had an issue where there were no COMM ports in the Device Manager on my laptop as it had no RS-232 port and this fixed my problem.  For whatever reason it wouldn't load the drivers from the adapter.

http://www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/

Scroll to the bottom of the page on this link and it should show the driver.

5 hours ago, bobschm said:

This is the first time I've tried using this on a Windows 10 computer. Last year I plugged the adapter into WIN7, switched to COMM3, and got my sequences talking to my ServoDog (SD) board. In Windows 10, I can't even find any COMM port access. My SD utility comes up with NO ports listed for selection.

At this point, the LOR control Panel is in the tray as a red light bulb. (Only the ServoDog is connected, no LOR controllers are online right now. )

Could this be a firewall issue? What am I missing? Where the heck are my comm ports?

Ok. I unloaded all of LOR and started over (again). I found a single comm port - COMM4. I got SD to talk over that. (No Idea why comm4 didn't show up before)

But apparently the listener is trying to open on comm3 and failing. So how do I get the LOR control panel to switch to comm 4?

Go to Network preferences and switch over to COMM4.

• The topic was locked