Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24d - Low Intensity on 2 Green Channels

mpageler

I have a display element that has 4 rgb strips mounted parallel to ech other.  Each strip is on it's own CMB24d RGB grouping.  

I noticed that when  strips are solid green, there is a much lower intensity on 2 or the 4 strips.  Intensity for solid red and blue are ok on all 4 strips.  These 2 strips change colors according to the sequence just fine, other than the green channel intensity issue.

Tested  green channel in Hardware Utility by adjusting intensity levels.  Looks like 100 percent level on the 2  problemed green chanels is well below 50 percent.

Second year for this CMB24d/strips.  Didn't notice the issue last year but did tweak many sequences during  off season for more stand alone red, green and blue colors.  

So does this sound like a textbook bad mosfet issue or something else.   I did replace a power supply on another CMB24d during the off season, Several rgb grouping were not changing colors properly...only a few sections in several sequence. New power supply solved that issue.

For most of my halloween sequences, you really don't notice any issue.  Guessing it will be the same for Christmas sequence, so no hurry to do any fixing until after the season.  

Thanks..Mike

Edited by mpageler

For test, swap a "bad" strip for a "good" one. See if the problem stays with the strip or with the controller channels. That will determine if it's the strip or controller. A MOSFET failure is likely going to always be full on or full off. Unlike an AC controller, you don't have the 50% failure mode.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I switched around connectors and  issue stayed with the same 2 strips.

My 4 strip element is actually made up of 3 8ft section, conected  together with waterproof connectors. 

Wires from controller connect between 1st and 2nd 8ft section via a 2 connector pigtail I made...basicaly a wye connector.  2nd and 3rd 8ft sections are directly connected via  connectors. So the low green intensity runs the entire 24ft length on 2 of the 4 strips. 

Possible that I have a pin conductivity issue, especically on the 2 conductor pigtail between 1st and 2nd sections. Can't switch these pigtails, up near the roof snf too many other disply elements below it to set up a ladder. 

My guess would be a bad connection.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• The topic was locked