Light-O-Rama Forums

Cannot locate CTB16 gen 3 on PC

asl9622

Hey ladies and gentleman,

I cannot get my pc to locate my ctb16 controller gen 3. I am running windows 10 and using the USB485B serial connector. It is the one with two Ethernet ports and a firewall cable that connects to PC. When I plug in the USB connector the computer recognizes the serial adapter on COM 3. My computer can find my CMB24D controllers and control with no issues. The led light is solid green on the ctb16 board. When I unplug the Ethernet from each port from the board it starts blinking. I have tried resetting the board using the jumpers but still no luck. It seems as if the board is recognizing the Ethernet being plugged in but cannot communicate with the computer. Any ideas? Is the board bad? Is there a test mode just to see if the lights turn on without the PC? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

First guess is unit number.  When you search with the HU, what is the maximum unit ID you have set.  If the controller has a unit ID higher than your max search number, it won't find it.  Try setting the search limit to the maximum (F0).  Related to that, try doing a "Change existing ID" and select any unit.  Make sure it is the only unit on the network.  Other possibility is that the unit ID is the same as one of the other controllers.  Since the controller is seeing the RS-485 heartbeat (and making the green LED go solid), the RS-485 transceiver chip is working, and there are not damaged pins or connector, and the cable is good.

BTW.  It's a bad habit to refer to the RJ-45 connector and cat-5 cable as an ethernet connector and cable.  It's RS-485 and not ethernet.  It confuses newbees, and can get ugly if you are using ethernet for E1.31  BTW, I use a different color Cat-5 cable for RS-485 vs E1.31 so it's harder to mix them up.

• The topic was locked