Light-O-Rama Forums

New PE Effects

lkcubsrule

tree_fade.gifAs I've ventured into the Pixel Editor realm, I've been rather dissatisfied at the ease of creating effects. For example, a simple faded chase is extremely easy in the SE.  In the PE, it's much more challenging.  Anyway, I've set out to attempt to innovate within the Pixel Editor, and I've found a really neat solution today.  The image command has been my best friend recently, along with the "scale" toggle.   Here's the latest example I've found:

longfade.pngSimple fades like this do not come in the predetermined effects, so you've got to use an image.  If you have a matrix, overlay an image and scale it, it will fill the entire matrix and distort the image (if of a different aspect ratio).  But, if you uncheck "scale image", it will display at full scale.  Usually this isn't helpful for large resolution images on a small resolution pixel display, but in this case -- that's what we want.   So, instead of using an image size of 16x50, this image is now 16x200.  I've created a fade from black to red to black over 200 pixels and using the movement commands, I've moved the image up at a given speed.   Now, only 1/4 of the image is displayed at a time, but it gives a much slower fade than if you were to scale the image.  If you wanted, you could make the top a fade and the bottom solid -- and you'd have a portion where the tree / matrix is all the way on.  This could be part of the desired effect, or you could use that "all on" section as a transition using multiple layers -- to another effect. 

The options are really endless if you're willing to get creative!  I hope to be sharing some more ideas through a webcast on the Light-O-Rama Users Group Facebook Page.  But, I'd love to see other tips and tricks you all have for programming with the pixel editor.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lkcubsrule said:

The options are really endless if you're willing to get creative! 

I agree.

I have tinkered with the scale toggle, but did not get this far. One thing I noticed that you mention is to resize graphics to fit your prop(s). Some pics/gifs will give totally different looks on 2 different sized props and resizing the graphic changes it even more..

Thanks for sharing this.

Alan...

Luke, not to hijack your thread, but to add to it. Have you played around with creating a group with Nested, Vert, or Horz?

Here is an example below of a prop I am working on. It's 2 fans made into a circle prop. The effect used is spirals. The Preview side shows what it would look like with the prop grouped as a preview, and the Nested is the same prop and effect grouped as Nested. Thought you might be interested.

Alan...

woohoo the edit feature is back! :D

Edited by default

Luke, not to hijack your thread, but to add to it. Have you played around with creating a group with Nested, Vert, or Horz?

I have not. Thanks for the share! And this is by no means a hijack - keep the good ideas flowing. Also, for some reason the video is not loading.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Cool effects!!

One note: nothing wrong with putting 2 fans back-2-back; however, you can create the same thing using the Spoke shape in a single, 360 degree prop.

Matt

On 10/5/2016 at 2:09 PM, lkcubsrule said:

tree_fade.gifAs I've ventured into the Pixel Editor realm, I've been rather dissatisfied at the ease of creating effects. For example, a simple faded chase is extremely easy in the SE.  In the PE, it's much more challenging.  Anyway, I've set out to attempt to innovate within the Pixel Editor, and I've found a really neat solution today.  The image command has been my best friend recently, along with the "scale" toggle.   Here's the latest example I've found:

longfade.pngSimple fades like this do not come in the predetermined effects, so you've got to use an image.  If you have a matrix, overlay an image and scale it, it will fill the entire matrix and distort the image (if of a different aspect ratio).  But, if you uncheck "scale image", it will display at full scale.  Usually this isn't helpful for large resolution images on a small resolution pixel display, but in this case -- that's what we want.   So, instead of using an image size of 16x50, this image is now 16x200.  I've created a fade from black to red to black over 200 pixels and using the movement commands, I've moved the image up at a given speed.   Now, only 1/4 of the image is displayed at a time, but it gives a much slower fade than if you were to scale the image.  If you wanted, you could make the top a fade and the bottom solid -- and you'd have a portion where the tree / matrix is all the way on.  This could be part of the desired effect, or you could use that "all on" section as a transition using multiple layers -- to another effect. 

The options are really endless if you're willing to get creative!  I hope to be sharing some more ideas through a webcast on the Light-O-Rama Users Group Facebook Page.  But, I'd love to see other tips and tricks you all have for programming with the pixel editor.

You can simulate this effect. buy using the bars effect with a solid color and black.then put a check in the show 3D, this may be more fluid but it is worth a try and this is very cool. I will have to play with this and see what the options are.

SPaschall 

• 3 weeks later...

Usually it will pop up and anyone that is a member can approve you. If I see a request I will approve you. If not then pm Luke aka Ikcubsrule and get him to look at it.He is the administrator.

SPaschall

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk