Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB16D vs. CTB16D

Denny

Is there any advantage using the CMB16D over the CTB16D to control DC Led floods? I know I can only use the first 8 channels of the CTB16D for DC lighting, but other than having only 8 channels versus 16 on the CMB16D, is there some reason that the CMB 16D might be preferred? Do both boards give you the same DC control such as fading, twinkling, etc? I am adding DC Floods this year and would prefer to use 2 of the CTB16D boards which would allow me to control 16DC channels. I figure I can space the two boards near the locations of the floods and control 8 channels per board, if I have the same fading control, etc. I could also use channels 9-16 on those same boards to control other AC lighting.

If there is a reason that I would need to use the CMB16D over the CTB16D, does the CMB16D require heat sinks?

The CTB-16D, being a triac board, can only control AC loads. The CMB-16D can only control DC loads. If you are using low voltage floods that can operate on either AC or DC, like the MR16, and you have a 12v AC power supply, and you only need 8 low voltage channels, then the CTB-16D would work.

The big reason the CMB-16D might be preferred is if you need more than 8 low voltage channels or if you have a DC supply (like a 12 volt battery).

A triac cannot control DC, because it will stay on until the current through it drops to a low value, as what happens 120 times per second when driven with 60Hz AC.