Light-O-Rama Forums

NEWBIE CONFUSED LOR1 / LOR2

fitzer

I have just received delivery of my first 16 channel unit LOR 1. Now I have spend some time reading up on the demo LORI and am starting to understand it .Now I see this update to LOR11.

My question should I update now before I start to sequence ,remember I 'm a complete novice with LOR anyway or should I continue with Lor1 for this year and get a better understanding of Lor1 . I hope this is not a stupid question ;) But I am slightly confused

Thanks

Mick

If you've already bought the LOR software, then the update will be a free upgrade for you.

Any sequencing that you do on the LOR1 platform will be usable when/if you upgrade to LOR2. If you are more comfortable with LOR1, then it's perfectly okay to continue programming on that platform.

I would go with the upgrade. No reason not to take advantage of the new tools. The interface and workflow are almost identicle. The new platform is stable. Have no fear, jump in, the water is nice.

Don wrote:

If you've already bought the LOR software, then the update will be a free upgrade for you.

Any sequencing that you do on the LOR1 platform will be usable when/if you upgrade to LOR2. If you are more comfortable with LOR1, then it's perfectly okay to continue programming on that platform.

Just remember though, once you go LOR 2, you don't go back. (you all thought I was gonna say something else there...didn't ya?!) Once you convert your files and do stuff with them in LOR 2 you can not reopen them in LOR 1. Just be aware of that and make sure you back up your shows.

Greg

I was hestitant of switching also fitzer. I am a newbie (purchased the software in late Dec.) as well and I started sequencing with LOR I for a month before switching over. I found LOR II is very similar to LOR I, with added benefits that makes sequencing a whole lot easier. I say go ahead and do the upgrade!

I was in your same shoes recently.

Buy the starter kit and upgrade to LOR II (S2).

The animator enhancements alone are worth it to me.

And there a lot of other things that I wouldn't want to do without.

I used LOR I for a few weeks before purchasing and upgrading ...

and I don't regret it at all. Its similar, but things are getting better

and more powerful in many different ways. The beat wizard alone is worth it to me.

There are many reasons why LOR II has improved the ability to sequence. The development team listened carefully to folks like Push Eject and added some very important tools like the spacebar start/stop function.
WOW I did not know about that shortcut!!! Anyothers out there? That shortcut makes it SOOOOOOO much easier than going visible screen then expanding the page out as far as it goes.

If you have Lor 2 installed on your computer open the help file and choose 'Whats New'. It shows the changes to the software going all the way back to v1.4. I believe there is a webpage with similar info but if I remember correctly Bob said it may not be as up to date.

tom.

Jeff Millard wrote:

BTW... My angst for the way things are going on PC has caused me to be banned from there now. Their loss, not mine. I promise to be positive here...LOL

Heh heh. You troublemaker. ;) Just from reading the topics and posts here I can tell that were it not for users like you sharing their experience with the rest of us, there would be LOTS of users in the dark about programming. Thank you for your contributions here. Hope your recovery is going smoothly.

Back to fitzer's question-- If you haven't started programming any songs yet, I'd get the latest software version you can and learn on that. Forget the older stuff. It's like loading Windows 3.1 in an XP world.

John

fitzer wrote:

Thanks JOHN I think you are right .I will struggle as much with the new as I did with the old .;)

Mick

Not necessarily. The new tools make it easier.

JOHN I am well qualified in the hard wiring no problems ,what so ever ,but computers are something I shyed away from and now this lack of knowledge has come back to haunt me .

So if any wants to come over here to Ireland and do my sequencing I wii go over to the states and do their wiring ;):D:D

MICK

Hmmm. Ireland you say? As tempting as that sounds, I don't think you need someone to go over there to do your sequencing.

You'll do fine. You don't have to be a computer nerd to sequence lights, you just have to have a little imagination. The software is easy to install, and people here will give you all the answers you need.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder the same thing. I just received my first 10 LOR controlors and the Showtime Software 1.6.9 . Is this LOR1 and if so , how do I update to LOR2. Please advise. I thank you in advance for your assistance. Cordially.