Light-O-Rama Forums

USB RS485 Adapters

Kyle Whitaker

In past years I have had some issues with the USB-RS485 and USB-RS485-HS adapters failing and having to be replaced. I currently run a Regular and an Aux A network and was thinking about replacing the adapters to the more expensive one with the Booster.

I have 3 questions:

1.  Is the USB-RS485 Adapter with Booster more reliable/robust?

2.  Does the USB-RS485 Adapter with Booster allow you to take the Regular (or Aux) network and split it onto 2 different network cables (I see it has 2 RJ45 jacks)?  In other words, if I have 10 controllers on the AuxA network I could run 5 of them off 1 jack and 5 of them off the other jack rather than all 10 in one big loop.

3.  Are there any other advantages to the USB-RS485 Adapter with Booster?

7 hours ago, Kyle Whitaker said:

In past years I have had some issues with the USB-RS485 and USB-RS485-HS adapters failing and having to be replaced. I currently run a Regular and an Aux A network and was thinking about replacing the adapters to the more expensive one with the Booster.

I have 3 questions:

1.  Is the USB-RS485 Adapter with Booster more reliable/robust?

I've been running mine for 7 years with no problems

2.  Does the USB-RS485 Adapter with Booster allow you to take the Regular (or Aux) network and split it onto 2 different network cables (I see it has 2 RJ45 jacks)?  In other words, if I have 10 controllers on the AuxA network I could run 5 of them off 1 jack and 5 of them off the other jack rather than all 10 in one big loop.

Yes, you can use both ports on the adapter, I  do that exact same thing. one port runs out to the ELL and the other runs to 10 controllers

3.  Are there any other advantages to the USB-RS485 Adapter with Booster?

The booster supplies accessory power, so it can run the ELL without having to connect it to a controller or it's own power supply.

• The topic was locked