Light-O-Rama Forums

Relay for InputPup Help

McAllister

I got an InputPup as an impulse buy during the sale and I'm trying to get it figured out.  I got a RF controller from Amazon that I'd like to wire up to it.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZFNZE9E/

No instructions were included, though the relays are labeled.  I guess the company is assuming that someone who knows how these work will be using them, and being a hobbyist and not electrical engineer, I'm not sure I know what connections to make!  The pictures on amazon show clear labels for NO COM NC, however the device I got is not labeled.  The relays also have labels that make me nervous to hook up (125VAC, 28VDC, 250VAC) to InputPup.  Given supply is 12VDC, I doubt that it's converting to high voltage AC for output, but I don't know why those would be labeled that way either.

From the following picture, can anyone tell what these are?

Here's the labels - What would be the terminals I have labeled A, B, and C?  Is it as simple as A=NO B=Com and C=NC?

Thanks in advance for any help!

img649.jpg

relay.jpg

The voltages and currents listed on the relay are the limits of what the relay can handle.  No problem hooking that to the InputPup.

With three connections to each relay, it's a pretty safe bet that they are Normally Open, Normally Closed, and Common.  The only question is what order they are in.  A Voltmeter can quickly determine that easily enough.  Although Vince found the photo that had the labels.

BTW, I use the InputPup extensively for interactive sequences and show start, so if you run into questions, feel free to ask.

1 hour ago, Vince4xmas said:

See attachment. Found from your link.

Vince4xmas - thanks for the pic.  I don't trust that very much from the amazon listing.  I realized that the company sent me the wrong item anyway - I ordered a 12ch device and got an 8ch device.  Plus the labels on their relays are different than what's on mine.  I've emailed them to see if they'll exchange, but honestly I'm not expecting much, especially since the thing has been sitting on my work bench for 2.5 mos before I actually realized the mistake.  Figuring I'll suck it up---InputPup is only 8ch anyway.

K6ccc - I considered hooking up to voltmeter but didn't want to fry a relay - My plan would be to connect on continuity test and then start pushing buttons on the remote - my concern would be if I happened to put voltmeter between NO and NC (rather than one of those and common).  Any chance of frying a relay by shorting NO-NC?

9 minutes ago, McAllister said:

K6ccc - I considered hooking up to voltmeter but didn't want to fry a relay - My plan would be to connect on continuity test and then start pushing buttons on the remote - my concern would be if I happened to put voltmeter between NO and NC (rather than one of those and common).  Any chance of frying a relay by shorting NO-NC?

Note that this answer deals entirely with the relay contacts, and has nothing to do with the relay coil...

Nope.  NO and NC contacts should ALWAYS result in an open circuit.  Other than exceeding voltage or current ratings, there is nothing you can do on the relay contacts that will damage a relay.  Trying to switch 480VAC on a relay rated at 24V would be a bad thing!  Same thing with trying to use a relay rated for 10 Amps to control the power to your 10 horsepower irrigation pump.  BTW, once you get above around 40 volts, AC voltage ratings are NOT the same as DC voltage ratings (AC will be higher).  In other words, do not assume that a relay rated for 120 Volts AC and be used at 120 Volts DC.  It will likely work just fine - until the first time that the relay contacts open with voltage applied, and then they will arc together permanently.