Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting Pixel String to Pixcon16

WeissWelsh

Hello,

I recently purchased a Pixcon16 controller in order to learn more about pixels, E1.31 and such. I also purchased some 100ct pixels that someone suggested from Ray Vu. The pixels come with three black wires (picture attached.) Is there a trick to figuring out which wires are used for power, clock (if used), data and ground? Also, since both ends of the string look exactly the same, how do you know which end is the beginning? The string I bought is this one....  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/18AWG-wire-100pcs-string-DC12V-12mm-WS2811-addressable-RGB-led-smart-pixel-node-with-all-BLACK/32599191945.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.54.OYQCvZ .... However, I was hoping there is a way to figure out which wires are which, no matter what pixels used. Thanks.

Bob

20160901_1351201.jpg

Look real close at the pixel maybe with a magnifying glass and you will see the wiring diagram of the pixel , also if you look on the link you posted for the pixels it tells you the wiring diagram and how to determine the in side 

Edited by Dennis Laff

Hi Dennis,

Thanks so much for the information. I'm a bit embarrassed because I looked for wiring instructions on that link about 10 times. I can't believe it was right there at the top of the item description. On some of the other Ray Wu lights, he had an actual drawing of the wiring, so I think my brain was looking for a drawing. Feeling stupid. Thanks so much for your help. 

I also ordered some ws2811 pixels from Ray Wu, but square type, beware the strings pull 5.2 amps with 100 pixels, so the 4 amp fuses will blow and mine would only work when I set up the pixcon 16 for 1804 type pixels. 

Edited by saveglamis

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2016 at 3:04 PM, saveglamis said:

I also ordered some ws2811 pixels from Ray Wu, but square type, beware the strings pull 5.2 amps with 100 pixels, so the 4 amp fuses will blow and mine would only work when I set up the pixcon 16 for 1804 type pixels. 

That is definitely a problem. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me how I can go about finding out how many amps the strings that I purchased pull. Is there a way to do that using a regular meter? 

1 hour ago, WeissWelsh said:

That is definitely a problem. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me how I can go about finding out how many amps the strings that I purchased pull. Is there a way to do that using a regular meter? 

The manufacturer will usually have it listed. For the link you posted above it states max current as 66ma (max power 0.8w) and that is per pixel on full white.

The string is 100 pixels so 66ma is .066 x 100 = 6.6 amps.

Edited by Mr. P

Yes, 1804 and 2811 use the same protocol.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

8 hours ago, Mr. P said:

The manufacturer will usually have it listed. For the link you posted above it states max current as 66ma (max power 0.8w) and that is per pixel on full white.

The string is 100 pixels so 66ma is .066 x 100 = 6.6 amps.

Thank you so much. I'm sorry for being so ignorant about how to read the specs. A little common sense should have told me that the numbers didn't represent the entire string, but rather each pixel. Feeling stupid. 

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, 1804 and 2811 use the same protocol.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I must admit I'm a little confused. I apologize for not being very smart with electrical stuff. If the light string uses more than 4 amps and is blowing the fuse under the 2811 setting, wouldn't it still use the same amount of amps under the 1804 setting and still blow the fuse? Or does the controller send out different power levels depending on the type of pixels. If so, does that also mean the lights will be dimmer under one pixel setting than the other?

5 hours ago, WeissWelsh said:

I must admit I'm a little confused. I apologize for not being very smart with electrical stuff. If the light string uses more than 4 amps and is blowing the fuse under the 2811 setting, wouldn't it still use the same amount of amps under the 1804 setting and still blow the fuse? Or does the controller send out different power levels depending on the type of pixels. If so, does that also mean the lights will be dimmer under one pixel setting than the other?

As far as the 2811 vs 1804.  They use the same protocol.  Several of the controllers require setting to 1804 when using 2811 pixels.

As far as power.  As stated above, power is determined by the pixels.  Most pixels take about 60mA per pixel (give or take a bit).  100 pixels is going to take about 6 amps if all pixels are at 100% white. 

Keep in mind when you are looking for pixels you have to consider the following:

- what you will be using them for

- how many you will need

- whether you will be power injecting or not

- controller type and capabilities.

- power useage of pixels

I have seen some pixels rated as low as 25ma and some as high as 87ma.

Also, Xlights has a good controller comparison where you can check out the capabilities of some of the major controllers

http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

As far as the 2811 vs 1804.  They use the same protocol.  Several of the controllers require setting to 1804 when using 2811 pixels.

As far as power.  As stated above, power is determined by the pixels.  Most pixels take about 60mA per pixel (give or take a bit).  100 pixels is going to take about 6 amps if all pixels are at 100% white. 

That's what I was thinking. That is why I was confused about what "saveglamis" wrote above. He said his string runs at 5.2 amps and was blowing the 4A fuse. But then he switched the setting to 1804 and it no longer blew the fuse (if I read his message correctly.) But shouldn't his string blow the fuse even with the setting set to 1804 since it should still require 5.2A? Thanks so much for putting up with me. 

Bob

• The topic was locked