Light-O-Rama Forums

lights

philw

Phil, you have been told totally wrong.

I've used wall-warts to power low voltage LEDs for years while being plugged in and controlled by an AC LOR controller.

Never had a problem.

13 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Phil, you have been told totally wrong.

I've used wall-warts to power low voltage LEDs for years while being plugged in and controlled by an AC LOR controller.

Never had a problem.

I thought the same thing but the OP lives in Australia with a 240v grid. I've been told that their lighting is much different than ours.

OP, the WA in your profile is making people think you live in Washington so they are giving you advice for North America. If you are going to leave WA as your location then you need to tell everyone that you are in Australia.

Thanks for your replies,My head is getting more and more confused i am better going:

CTP16PC (residential starter kit) and a CMB24D or

CTB16PC and a CMB24D

I will be using low voltage led strings lights and motif shapes (father xmas, reindeers etc) on one board and 5m rgb led strips on the other.

Any thought on best way to go before i purchase them

Thanks

Since you are pretty new to this just keep in mind that the 5m strips come in two types; smart and dumb. The CMB24 uses dumb strips and not the smart pixels so make sure you get the correct type. Also, the dumb strips come in different types; 150 leds and 300 leds. This is important because it will determine the power supply you will need.

Keep asking questions as everyone here will help you out.

Hi, I think i am ok with the RGB mine will be dumb type (a bit like me !!)

It is just the CTP16PC controller my strings light are low voltage led light, which use a plug adaptor to take them from 240v down to about 30v the plug adaptor plugs directly into the the 240v house wall socket,

I keep getting different answers some say i can plug these into the LOR controller CTP16-PC and some people say you can only plug 240v lights into it.

Your thoughts please

Sure you can use them, I just don't know how they will react when you try to fade or twinkle or any of those features due to the built in transformer in the lights. They will turn on and off okay but I don't know about the other functions since I am not familiar with 240v lights.

Here in the U.S. I've used wall-warts and the LEDs fade and twinkle with LOR. Over the pond, I don't know.

All I can say is try it.

• The topic was locked